After a year and a half of gathering everything needed to rebuild our severely corroded right-side final drive clutch/brake mechanism on our 1966 JD 2010 crawler loader backhoe, I'm not sure what lube to put into the pinion and ring gear case. The original manual specifies "303 Special Purpose oil" or SAE 80. The SAE 80 makes more sense to me, but if the oil is shared with with our H-L-R transmission (which is hydraulic), then I'm confused as I don't see hypoid gear oil as being the same as AW46 which we run on all of our hydraulics on multiple tractors, our excavator, and backhoe. Can anyone out there shine some light on my question? As Always, many thanks to those on our forum. -Tom
Hygard.
Many thanks for the reply, so I take it that the final drive ring gear compartment shares the same lubricant as the H-L-R transmission as well as hydraulics in general? Regards, -Tom
The differential housing shares the oil with the H-L-R. The final drives have their own compartment. Steering clutches are dry.
Got it, thanks. I've got 5 gallons of Hygard coming from Amazon for about $123 delivered.