Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 210 with 284 Box blade

joelmartin ยท 2025-12-16 19:46

Operator did not realize the blade was worn, kept driving until blade fell off due to bolt holes elongated. Does anyone make a new piece of steel; could I plasma cut a section out of the frame and weld a new section in? How to repair? Any advice? Yes it is unfortunate but I am tasked with the repair for a customer.

Replies4
  1. #1FSFarm2025-12-16 20:55

    You shouldn't have a problem welding a new piece in unless part of it was hardened for strength. If it's not hardened you wouldn't have a problem making a new piece with some flat strap and new cutting edge by tracing the bolt holes on the flat strap with the new cutting edge.

  2. #2HarleyHappy2025-12-17 10:08

    I would probably just weld in a new cutting edge. If they want it repaired to original, I would consider using a cutting edge to replace worn section and use mill or mag drill to make new holes for another cutting edge.

  3. #3Welder Dave2025-12-18 02:10

    Doubt it would be anything other than mild steel. Line a new steel plate up with a new cutting edge to get the holes in the right place. After the holes are done carefully tack the new plate in. When welding just weld maybe 1 rod in the middle and then do each end. Move around when welding instead of doing a long continuous weld to prevent warping from the heat.

  4. #4joelmartin2025-12-31 12:39

    I appreciate each one of you going to the trouble to answer me. Apparently Cutting Edge Supply offers a pre-made solution that will be easy to slice the damaged section out and weld that in. It is nearly a new machine, the owner wants it restored as nearly to new condition as possible Happy New Year!