2004 JD 210LE Serial # 882401 Machine engages in forward 1/2 of the time. Then takes multiple attempts to get it to engage again . Doesn't matter what gear or if in mfwd or not. Goes in then releases to neutral on occasion . Reverse is fine . Driveshaft not spinning when this occurs . Fresh trans filter , fluid and level . I have read some of the other related threads and am still unsure how to diagnose . Had the cover off to expose the 3 solenoids on top of trans . Can I swap them to identify if one is bad ? If so , which one is forward ? I can turn a wrench some , buy I've never done any electrical troubleshooting before . Thanks in advance if any one wants to chime in . -Lou
Is that the complete serial number? I would think first suspect would be the shift lever on the steering column. Those have been known to give trouble. We have experts here that can help you, but might be tomorrow before that happens. Have you owned it a while? Do you have the service manuals?
It is unlikely to be the solenoids. Like JL said, most likely the FNR is the culprit. Your serial indicates you have the syncroshuttle (shifter on the floor), correct? Easy enough to check. remove the plastic from around the steering column. If it is only forward you are losing, then back probe (carefully) the T11 blue wire at the FNR connector. If you lose voltage there at the same time you lose forward, then your FNR is faulty.
Thanks for that mg2361 It does have the syncroshuttle trans Back home now and will try that . FNR looks new like someone recently replaced it , but maybe with some aftermarket part . I had already swapped the 2 left solenoids and now have no forward at all . Hopefully I haven't exacerbated the issue .
Well I removed the lower dash cover , and found a nightmare the guy I bought this from had jumpers and bypass wires all over . Some spring loaded switch with zip ties to the brake pedals ., etc . I am at my wits end after overpaying and putting thousands more into it so far. Contemplating selling it cheap so I don't have to look at it .
Yikes!
Probably wouldn't take that long to straighten those electrical connections out. Have to get rid of those horrible shield cutting wire splices and make proper connections and where they are supposed to be. I know how frustrating it can be, but get that machine right, and I think you'll be happy with it.
I appreciate the info , and words of encouragement . Done more to this thing than i was originally comfortable with, so i guess it would be a shame to quit now. Previous owner added alot of extra lights / gauges that i can trace and eliminate one at a time . The temp gauge that was installed too close to the exhaust manifold actually prevented me from severely overheating it and pointed to the cooling problems that i finally resolved other than a slow drip from the radiator drain that i still need to address . I am unsure if he jumped around a bad relay that has to do with the possible FNR issue . Definitely learning and developing some patience while increasing my beer consumption . Have a borderline profuse leak on the mechanical fuel pump that i also need to address . That may be another thread someday . The tough pill for me to swallow is that someone could be so dishonest about something they are selling . I know it's buyer beware and not everyone out there has integrity. Complete serial number : TO210LE882401 Bought it in Feb and have done some grading until this latest issue with the trans has seemed to have gotten worse . I have some manuals i downloaded as well . Thanks for the replies . I'll post if i get it figured out . -Lou
Finally got this thing squared away , and it was indeed the FNR lever. Opted for the OEM JD unit at $980 instead of aftermarket crap. Got all the other things fixed and am indeed happy with the machine . Appreciate all who chimed in.