I just bought a 2001 JD 240 Series II with 1300 hours. How do the brakes work? They don't seem to be working at all. If I flip the parking brake switch, the volt gauge goes up, but the brakes dont set. Also when I release the brakes the volts drop almost down to the red is that normal? Other than that the machine is nice clean and tight.
The brakes work kinda like a brake chamber on a semi truck but instead of air they are spring applied and hydraulic pressure released. The park brake switch when pushed to apply brakes requires no voltage to set the brakes thats why your vlotage goes up, when released the switch puts power to a solenoid at the hyd filter head and sends oil to the chamber to release the brakes which is why the voltage goes down. The early machines, non sereis II, had quite a few electrical issues voltage drop was one of them. Usually the voltage drop was within specs however the gauge would read either too high or too low the easiest way to check this with a helper is to hook up an auxillary gauge or battery tester to the battery and flip the switch while in the machine, belt buckled, and engine running. This will tell you if there is a problem or if the volt meter is just [overactive] for lack of a better term. As far as the brakes not working at all, it could be a couple things mabey someone has unhooked the rod from the brake chamber, or has worn them out due to something not releasing them, or possibly oil has soaked into the brake pads from the drive motor or the chain case. Hopefully its something simple, and I hope this info helps.
Just for giggles have you checked to see if the park brake solenoid wires are frayed?
I havnt had time to mess with it, but it locks up the bucket but not the wheels. When the parking brake is set.
How different is the brakes on a series 1 vs series 2? I was able to get a manual on the series 1 but not the 2. I still have not had time to look at the machine though.