Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 244 J 2.4

drewb75 ยท 2014-11-04 14:28

I have a 244J John Deere around 2000. got on it one day and give it gas and between 500 and 1000 rpm it would jump or hesitate, at full throttle ran fine, fuel pump had a small leak, next day would not start, so I put a new fuel pump on, and turns over no start, I ordered a Technical Manual from JD and the best part is it does not have anything to do with the motor, so i am ordering that manual, 300$ for both better than spending money guessing. thanks for your help, also it will thy to start with start spray but will die,:Banghead

Replies7
  1. #1Deeretracks2014-11-04 15:33

    Most likely a problem with the fuel rack or solenoid.

  2. #2512high2014-11-04 20:46

    Drewb75, let us know how you make out, we have a 2011, 244J with 2,000 hrs, no issues, however I always like to know more about the machines from others that own etc., I agree with Deeretracks.....

  3. #3drewb752014-11-05 09:10

    244 j Mine is around 2500 hrs, FYI a few months ago was making a popping sound, sounded like the front end. so I called John Deere to look at it, first they did not want to look at they just wanted to bring it in to the shop, $$ after getting on the phone with the manager they came out to tell me it is the front end they need to take it in, so I asked how much is this going to run, he got back to a few days later with a price for a whole front end. 15,000.00$$$, well I started to take it a part to find the problem, the first thing i took off was the drive shaft, and their was my problem striped out in side the slid tube. 1800, to fix,

  4. #4Deeretracks2014-11-05 11:04

    That is just a lazy service writer. I have rebuilt a few 344H axles and they aren't that tough. We had a few paper recyclers using them and they would blow up the front diff or final pretty regularly. Once out of about ten times we installed a whole new assembly. Because the housing broke. Glad you got by with just a driveshaft. We replaced those a lot as well.

  5. #5512high2014-11-05 15:08

    Deeretracks, You seem to know your stuff, have you had any experience with the John Deere 244J? I think it came out in 2005 and is still in production......As I mentioned, I bought mine last march,(its a 2011,2000hrs), I changed engine oil/filter, hydro fluid/filter etc, we just use for snow removal...I have emailed others that have used this little machine, 95percent have had no issues, just wondering if there are certain things to keep an eye on, lol please don't tell me its a piece of crap! And Drew glad you found your problem..., I agree with Deeretracks, I called my local Nortrax in New Hampshire, 40 miles away, to do a basic service, I was shocked at what they told me!

  6. #6Deeretracks2014-11-05 19:36

    I left the dealer shortly after the J series came out so never really worked on them. I did work on the 344H's quite a bit which are very similar. They had a 4.5L in them as opposed to the 2.4L that is in the 244J. Most of the common issue I dealt with were caused by the environment and application they were in. Lot's of hyd leaks because the coolers were always plugged with paper and that caused the hyd fluid to overheat and cook all the seals/Orings. Or problems with diffs, drivelines, and drop boxes from running many hours on concrete with solid rubber tires. Overall they were a decent machine.

  7. #7512high2014-11-05 20:15

    thank you for replying back Deeretracks, ...