Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 244j air condition not working

JeremyH · 2022-01-25 10:48

I have a John Deere 244j and the air conditioning isn’t engaging. Compressor clutch isn’t turning on. Tested all the fuses to find them all good. Tested the relay to find that there are 5 pins on this relay. The top two larger pins, switched side, doesn’t ever have power, the other larger pin goes to the compressor and when I jump power to it the compressor comes on. The three smaller pins, control side, have power and ground all the time and when I plug the relay in the relay engages. Nothing but turning the ignition off disengages the relay. My a/c pressure gage broke before getting to test pressure readings so until tonight I don’t have any pressure readings. If I had the diagnostic manual and could see a wiring diagram this would probably be an easy problem to diagnose but my question is, does the power for the switched side of the relay go through any pressure switches or is it controlled somehow? On the control side, is it only the switch that controls the relay operation? I feel I have two separate issues but maybe theirs a connection between the two? Does anyone by any chance have a wiring diagram or the diagnostic manual for this machine? Thank you in advance!

Replies5
  1. #1NH575E2022-01-25 11:17

    Don't know the exact configuration on your tractor. A typical configuration would have a low pressure switch on the receiver drier that completes a ground to the relay. Look at the drier and see if there is a two wire switch. If so unplug it and jump the two wires together. If that engages the compressor you are most likely low on freon or the switch has failed. The switches rarely fail but can sometimes be the source of a freon leak.

  2. #2JL Sargent2022-01-25 11:42

    Jeremy, #1 cause of AC clutch not turning on is LOW Refrigerant. Get your gauges going or maybe borrow a set and see if you are charged first.

  3. #3mg23612022-01-25 12:08

    Path for the compressor clutch. F19 blower fuse to the blower switch to the AC on/off switch to the freeze switch, to the binary pressure switch, then to the relay's load side (switched), to the compressor.

  4. #4JeremyH2022-01-26 18:05

    Thanks guys! I got the hoses fixed finally on my gages so I’ll check that next! Mg2361, thanks for that run down, so what is on the control side of the relay if all the switches and control devices are in line with the power supply to the load side of the relay? Seems like those switches and everything would be on the control side. So does the a/c relay just always engage with the ignition turned on and the control for the clutch is actually on the power supply side of the relay? Thanks again for all the help!! Difficult trying to diagnose this stuff without information so you guys are greatly appreciated!

  5. #5mg23612022-01-27 04:27

    Correct, that relay is energized whenever the key is on. The path for that circuit is - when you key on then the K01 Main Switched Power Relay is energized allowing battery voltage to go to the F15A Alt Excite/Fuel Level/AC Clutch 10A Fuse and from there it energizes the K4 AC Compressor Clutch Relay.