Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 260/ 270

shopteacher ยท 2012-11-04 06:44

Looking at possible purchase of a used JD 260 or 270 machine. Are there any known problems with either of these models?

Replies4
  1. #1Bobcatdan2012-11-04 08:33

    I don't think they are terrible, but a lot of guys will disagree with me. The 200 series was the first skidsteer Deere ever actually made and they had plenty of teething problems. Series 2 machines are the same machines with all the field mods install at the factory. I have heard of a lot of electrical problems on them. That said when I worked on them I never really saw it, they are really basic. The brakes are always driven threw to the point they are shot. The hydro pump mounting bolts like to loosen up and leak. Like I said, I like them, but they always seem to be junk with 2000 hours on them, where as now that I work on bobcats, I seen a ton of machines with 5000 + hours still in great shape. If I was going to buy a Deere skidsteer, I would go for a newer 300 series and hope I don't have engine problems.

  2. #2shopteacher2012-11-04 08:50

    Thanks for the info. Guys like you are what makes this forum great.

  3. #3shopteacher2012-11-04 09:50

    What do you think about the 8875? That's what I have now. I'm waiting for a new injector pump for it. I haven't had any other trouble with it so far.

  4. #4KSSS2012-11-04 11:01

    The 8875 was a NH built Deere branded skid steer and was a good machine. I would avoid any Deere skid steer which the model number started with a 2xx.