Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

JD 250 Skid Steer slammed to a stop and engine died while moving.

macecase ยท 2012-11-04 07:55

I have a John Deere 250 Skid Steer. While moving forward at an average pace on level ground, the skid violently just locked up. The engine died, all hydraulic controls seized up. I went from 5mph to 0 instantly. I restarted the engine and it fired right up. So, it wasn't like an engine stall.... But, when I tried to raise or lower the boom, it worked for a second and stopped. The hand controls were ineffective and the foot pedals were frozen in place. What could this be? I checked hydraulic fluid and it was low so I'm obviously going to add to that. The only other issue that I think it may be would be the seat belt safety. Mine is rigged because the seatbelt got messed up. I wonder if it came undone. But, would that cause the whole thing to come to an immediate stop and kill then engine? I just am not thinking so. Hence this post.

Replies3
  1. #1Bobcatdan2012-11-04 08:18

    The system needs to see siganl from seatbelt and seat switch or it will lock up. There should be lights on the dash for the seatbelt, does it light? For !TESTING!, you can jump the seatbelt switch and I think the seat switch and see if it works then. If everything is locked up, it is an electrical safety system problem, not a hydrualic one.

  2. #2MrKomatsu2012-11-05 16:05

    macecase i have one in my shop as we speak doing the same if not more.... found nuetral adjustment screws on the tandem pumps out of adjustment. i do have a procedure to adjust if needed....good luck

  3. #3welderguy19802014-07-08 21:05

    Did the tandem screws stop the machine from starting? I just had my machine stop and won't start. Will turn over. I havehave a 270 skid steer. Turns out I lifted the cab and one of the tandem studs was broke. I replaced but it will not start. Please help. Been down for two months. Call me at 5734803460 or respond to this thread.