Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 270CLC throttle problems

Jack Endicott · 2023-01-08 02:09

our 2006 John Deere 270CLC RPM dial gradually stopped working. It started off lagging for about 30 sec then rev up and then gradually over a couple of days stopped working all together. It starts right up and idles fine but we can't increase the RPMs. Changed main fuel filter and it didn't help. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Replies12
  1. #1James Sorochan2023-01-08 06:06

    I would guess it could be the dial switch or the engine controiler failed. The John Deere experts can advise on diagnosing. Give the serial number so they can get you the right info.

  2. #2mg23612023-01-08 06:32

    Welcome to HEF Jack ! Serial number please. Let's get into the diagnostics of the monitor screen. Press and hold the set button on the monitor panel and then key the machine to the on position. After bulb check, release the button. Then use the display select button to scroll. As you scroll, you will see numbers or letters on the left side of the little screen. Just after L1 and L2 should be "0" (zero). When zero is on the left side of the screen, what is on the right side? This will be for the pump and valve controller codes. A zero on the right side indicates no codes. Then keep scrolling until the number "8" is on the left side (speed dial voltage). While in that screen, move the engine speed dial from idle to full throttle. Does the reading change? What is the voltage at idle and at full rpm positions?

  3. #3Jack Endicott2023-01-08 21:04

    Thanks Dave and James we’ll tackle it tomorrow.

  4. #4Nate Endicott2023-02-01 14:17

    Serial # FF270CX702525 Hi guys, Jack and I are working on this machine together. I replaced the throttle dial panel on the machine and it didn't change anything. I also tried to enter into diagnostic following the instructions of mg2361 but it would only read Trip 1, Trip 2, and then dashed lines. I checked all the fuses behind the seat and they were fine. I pulled up the cover to check the relays, but I don't know which relay would correspond to this problem. Which relay should I check? There is also a red blinking light on what I assume is the ECU. Machine starts great and idles, just won't throttle.

  5. #5Diesel Dave2023-02-01 20:07

    There is a round diagnostic display for retrieving engine data in the area of the battery box. Check for any fault codes and report back.

  6. #6Nate Endicott2023-02-01 21:38

    I checked the DDU in the engine compartment but it doesn't show anything. It lights up but doesn't display any numbers/codes even when I tried holding the arrow buttons down for 8 seconds to reset stored codes. No text at all, so i'm not sure if that is related or a faulty DDU.

  7. #7Nate Endicott2023-02-05 16:13

    Should I look at getting a new ecu?

  8. #8Nate Endicott2023-02-13 16:48

    Since I couldn't get anything to show on the DDU other than just lighting up I have ordered a replacement one of those. I also ordered a replacement pump and valve controller. Are these components plug and play? Can I just disconnect the main ground from the battery and just plug in the new controller and DDU?

  9. #9mg23612023-02-14 04:47

    Yes, plug and play. Yes, disconnect the ground before swapping.

  10. #10Kalebjohnson272023-10-25 15:25

    Did you guys ever get this machine figured out?I bought a machine in whitehorse with similar issues. Service screen won’t show lettering both lights are on however. I have slow hydraulics on pretty well every function and sometimes in high rpm the throttle will go to low idle for a minute then back up.

  11. #11Diesel Dave2023-10-25 22:10

    Welcome to HEF Kaleb . Hopefully the OP will reply back with their results. I assume you have a 270CLC. Your “slow hydraulics on pretty well every function “ sound more like a hydraulic issue than an engine issue. At post # 3, mg2361 explains how to get into diagnostics on the cab monitor screen. Report back any PVC (pump and valve controller) codes found.

  12. #12Nate Endicott2023-10-27 12:57

    Hi Kaleb. I ended up replacing the pump and valve controller and that solved our throttle problem. I found a junkyard that had a used one and it was an easy swap.