I bought a John Deere 270lc idk probably 7 years ago now. It's just a farm machine so doesn't see any hours. Bought a new piece of property and have some work for it so have been checking fluids and changing oils getting it ready to go. Anyway both my finals were overfull with what I assume is hydraulic oil. What would be causing this? I know there's a seal in there but what are the odds both are bad? Machine does have 11-12k hours (I'd have to look) and I changed this oil probably 4 years ago and it was thin then so I'm thinking it's been leaking for awhile. I should add one was under pressure and the other was not. Thanks guys
Good day I suggest you change any case drain filter that the machine may have be aware that wrong grade of fluid can have an adverse effect on motor shaft seals. A good policy is to measure the case drain pressure. Kind regards Uffex
I agree with Ufflex for the case drain.The easiest way to find this is to drain the final drive ,pull the bottom plug and stall (wedge a pin in the sprocket and )the track.You should see hydraulic oil leak out of the final drive.Make sure the case drain for the motors is not blocked through the rotary manifold back to the tank.It is not a critical repair and you should be able to use it without harming anything.
Could also be the brake piston seals too
Could be as they are spring applied and hydraulically released but I've done more axle seals than brakes.Since the machine sits for long periods at a time the axle seals are a more common failure.
Thank you for the information guys I'll check into this. Another quick question and I know this is simple, but do you need to have auxiliary hydraulics for a hydraulic quick coupler for the buckets? My machine doesn't have a quick coupler and I'd really love to have one. But I don't have auxiliaries. Thanks
That machine does have a aux hyd section and you can install a hydraulic quick coupler with a couple of Denison valves.