Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 300D Loader Backhoe-When is enough, enough?

Deereowner ยท 2015-02-28 16:29

I own a JD 300D loader backhoe. 1996? Replaced reverser. Big bucks New/rebuilt water pump. New transmission cooler. Numerous other small stuff fixed. Now the hydraulic pump goes. Nortrax says it can't be rebuilt and I need a new one. Anyone got any options other than sending it to the scrap metal yard? It was a good machine. Is it worth buying another one and using this for parts or vice versa? Do all 300D's have the same size tires, starters, alternators, hydraulic pumps, etc?

Replies2
  1. #1Delmer2015-02-28 16:51

    Have you looked for a used/rebuilt/aftermarket hydraulic pump? If you need/want a backhoe enough to justify the expense I don't think you're going to save money by ditching this one and buying another, or getting another similar and using one for parts unless you find a great deal on one with something else broken. On the other hand it might end up being cheaper to hire the work done than paying the dealer to maintain an old machine?

  2. #2Deereowner2015-02-28 20:22

    I probably should have stayed that this backhoe used to be my primary hoe until I bought a JCB 215 series 3. The Deere became my back up. All work done by both machines is for my own properties. I don't perform work for others. My first thought was to find after market parts for this machine. Scouted the Internet for parts but kept coming up with "dealer part only" on items such as rims, hydraulic pumps, front ends, etc. Now, not so sure of where to go. Considering purchasing another back up hoe. Like the Deere so I figured if I got something similar to the 300D, I could use the old one for future parts. Also considering replacing old Deere with a 11k-13k mini track hoe.