Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

new owner 580 sk 4×4 tubo need manual for it.and need to change the engine oils

digger1968 ยท 2015-03-01 04:59

so I buy this 580 sk 4x4 turbo and I know nothing about backhoe's I need a manual and need to change the engine oil on it .I do not know if the oil is a 2 in one oil for the tranny and engine or there both different??what kind of oil should I buy???I know there's diesel 15w 40 oil and more t5 ,t6 and 43 ,48 ,62? I do not know any of this stuff???is the T stand for transmission oil only??help!

Replies14
  1. #1Dirtdauber2015-03-01 08:52

    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...l.TRS0&_nkw=580+sk+manual&ghostText=&_sacat=0

  2. #2digger19682015-03-01 11:37

    but this is not for a 4x4 turbo.I have seen this last month and keep on not finding one manual that has (case 580 sk turbo 4x4 ) all in one manual for sale anywhere?I can find them for the (L) (M) but not the K?

  3. #3Dirtdauber2015-03-01 14:17

    If you buy a manual listed for a SK, all variations of it will probably be covered. I'm just learning about backhoes myself but can say with 100% certainty that your engine and transmission use different lubricants. All my diesels get 15w40 Rotella in the engine and I'm thinking your machine uses this in the transmission. http://www.viscosityoil.com/hy-tran.htm

  4. #4mitch5042015-03-01 15:39

    If you click on that link dirtdauber put up, 3 of the operator's manuals in that list specifically say turbo. An operator's manual is where the routine maintenance info resides. The engine is seperate from everything else, and requires a diesel engine oil. The weight depends on the temps it will encounter. Personally, I use basic Rotella T 15/40 in everything of mine. Moving toward the rear, in the compartment in front of the steering wheel, far left of course is diesel fuel. Closer to the center is the brake master cylinder. Under no circumstances does this get brake fluid! Some SK's were shipped with lids that had "brake fluid" in the plastic, then a label over it. The label comes off with age. Any leakage from the brakes goes into the transaxle, thus you should use Hy-tran Ultra in the brakes. The big cap on the right is for the hydraulic system. Case reccomended TCH fluid, but it seems to have gone the way of the dodo. You can use Hy-tran Ultra, or any good quality AW hydraulic oil. To check it, curl the hoe all the way up, lower the loader, and curl the loader bucket up. The oil should fill the sight glass below the loader arm pivot on the right outside . Through the floor behind the seat, is the transaxle dipstick and fill point. It is important that you use only Case Hy-tran Ultra here. This machine's brakes run in this oil, and using any other oil can lead to seperation of the brake linings. Replacing the brakes on this machine runs into the low four figures, so it's not worth saving $100 on oil. Check this oil with engine off.

  5. #5digger19682015-03-01 17:15

    Ok the hydraulic fluid on sale hear is Valvoline iso 46 for $60 or the iso 68 $60. so would you put these in you hoe? and ok I will only get case ultra hy-tran for the brake .it might be low cause the last time I use it in june I needed to put it in neutral to get it to stop.I thought I was going to put me foot through the floor.. and yes I will get rotella t 15 -40 next time it goes on sale(diesel)15-40 oil thanks

  6. #6mitch5042015-03-01 21:23

    With your climate, I would use the 46.

  7. #7bob_002015-03-02 10:48

    I am not sure about the sk but case made 2 k series the phase one and the phase 3. You can tell the diffrance by the gear shifter location the phase one have shiffter tru the floor and the Phase 3 have the shifter on the side console if its a phase 1 i have the manuel. As mitch say don t put brake fluid in the brake system. If phase one or 3 that wil tell. Witch kind of trans fluid u need in the pase one ther is a small foward revers transmition that need tdh fluid and the 4 speed is with your diffrentiel that need. And that need a case special oil For wet break for Hydrolic oil you have meny choice i just use tdh fluid that you can find an canadien tire. On the plate were the fuel. Cap is you should have a sticker that say witch oil to Use. Anywere it say case tch you can use canadien tire tdh

  8. #8Karlukalaska2015-03-02 11:52

    I got copy's of manuals for every one of my machines mich-clark-hitachi-cat and case on tradebit.com I downloaded and just keep a copy of one on each device I own so I always have a service manual with me, very handy

  9. #9bob_002015-03-02 13:09

    Case manuel cover it all the 4x4 and the turbo are just add on to the 2x4 non turbo model. The only thing you Have to know if its a phase 1 or 3 that will be 2 separat manuel. Then case cover the cab non cab 2 or 4 whel drive ac and non ac 4 stick or wobble and ect ect all in one shop manuel

  10. #10digger19682015-03-02 22:23

    next week I go to the camp,I will check to see it and make sure that it is a phase 3 or #1?what size are the drain screw and is it beter to get at it from the side or the front?or is it a socket female and will need a 4 ft johnson torck bar ??or something funny like that?

  11. #11mitch5042015-03-02 22:53

    A 580 Super K is a phase 3; but, it's real easy to confirm it. If the 4-speed shifter is to the right of the seat, it's a phase 3, or super K. If the 4-speed shifter is between your feet, it's a phase 1, or 580 K. I don't remember what size the drain plugs are, but they just require common tools. You get at them all from under the machine.

  12. #12Dirtdauber2015-03-03 01:12

    Everything above serial number JJG0020000 on a 580K is supposed to be a phase three. The serial number on my machine is under that, but the shifter is to the right of the seat unlike the 580 B I looked at which was between my feet. It is my understanding that phase one machines were synchronized only in 3rd and 4th like mine is, but the phase 3 machines were synchronized in all four. My shifter is for sure to the right of the seat and has the shuttle right behind the engine. I'll try to get a picture up tomorrow. Has something been changed on my 580K?

  13. #13bob_002015-03-03 04:57

    sorry but phase one have shifter tru the floor but on your right side not between you feet and phase 3 have is on the side console i have a phase one at home right now and i just rebuilt the borg warner power shuttle on it the topic been discuss a couple of time on this forum but i have to agree that super k are usealy phase 3 machine yep same here

  14. #14mitch5042015-03-03 10:17

    Yeah, I typed too fast, phase 1 is beside your feet is what I was thinking, or through the floor, not mounted on the fender beside the seat.