Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 310 SG Backhoe Control Pattern Swap

whtailhunter ยท 2021-11-15 13:33

A customer is asking me to come take a look at his John Deere 310SG as he wants to change over the hoe control pattern. I have little experience in John Deere's and thought i would pick brains here before looking at it. I know some machine MFGs have a valve or toggle switch to change over patterns. Is this an option on these machines? If so where is the valve/switch? If not can someone offer any guidance for correct pilot hoses to swap to change them over to "cat" controls?

Replies10
  1. #1JL Sargent2021-11-15 17:18

    My buddy MG here will probably see this in the morning and can assist you. Good luck with it.

  2. #2emmett5182021-11-15 17:30

    My 310 L has a rocker switch on the dash to go from backhoe to excavator.

  3. #3mg23612021-11-16 05:28

    Does he have pilot controls or wobble sticks? Serial number?

  4. #4emmett5182021-11-16 05:49

    I also have joysticks.

  5. #5whtailhunter2021-11-16 14:41

    Im assuming its pilot. From the customer ---> 2005 SN# TC310SC894301

  6. #6mg23612021-11-17 05:12

    Here is the correct s/n - T0310SG894301 if the last 6 digits are correct. Based on the serial number build codes that machine has wobble sticks (mechanical levers). So a linkage kit would be needed to change it from Deere to SAE.

  7. #7whtailhunter2021-11-17 10:45

    You my friend are the man!!! So its as simple as installing the new linkages without any hose swapping? I really appreciate the help.

  8. #8excavator2021-11-17 11:34

    Years ago I had a customer ask me to switch his machine. At the time the linkage kit was quite expensive and they didn't want to spend the money so I switched hoses on the control valve and reset pressures. I've been told by people "in the know" that you cannot do this but this machine has functioned great for years with no problems. I just checked online and the kit appears to be around $250-300.00 so it has come down in price over the years and would be the way to go.

  9. #9pault442025-05-19 18:40

    I just posted a similar question. I have a JD 310J, 2007. Just bought it. Someone has switched the hoe control pattern to CAT. I want to change it back to Deere. Any help is appreciated. I am a happy homeowner guy, not in the business of excavation. I was a builder for 35 years, hammers and nails I know about, not machines.

  10. #10pault442025-05-25 10:22

    Great information, Senior. Would you post a link for the kit please? If i understand correctly, the ISO pattern is JD, the SAE pattern is CAT or excavator. Is this right? Thanks!