Just bought a john deere backhoe 310a. It overheated on the drive home. I flushed out the radiator and changed the thermostat and bought a new radiator cap. When i crank it up water starts squirting out of the overflow hole on the fill neck. Is the normal ? What is the operating temperature? the gauge is broken so i replaced it.
Typically 170 to 190F. If you started out with the system empty, It will take a while to burp all the air out and get the coolant circulating properly. I find it best to run it with the cap off until you can see the coolant is circulating nice and hot by watching through the filler hole. May need to raise the rpm for a while to get the pump to burp out the air. You will get coolant flowing out of the filler neck at times but should eventually settle down if your system is healthy. Be ready to add more coolant when you see it drop as the air escapes.
Thanks for reply. Ran it again today temp. gauge showed 220 shut it down open the petcock on the block again full of gunk and rust again what's the best safe thing to flush the system with ,maybe a water port clogged?If it would be a busted head gasket cracked head or blocked oil and water would be mixing?Should be alright on that?
I have an old 310A also which I completely rebuilt the engine in after a rod bearing failure. It seems underpowered for the load on it, especially in road gear so it is a constant overfueled strain. Make sure your radiator core is completely clean and your fan shroud has no leaks. I tried to run it with a homemade shroud which has leaks and it would get hot easily. I stopped the airleaks and the overheating problem really improved. Also about the water leak at the neck, some John Deeres have a slightly taller neck which not all standard caps will seal. Saw this same problem on a customer's 4240 which was leaking the same way.
Just bought it did not know they had a road gear where can i find some manuals all decals or faded can some of the gear shifts not sure what is high low can see a P and II and some numbers and has the column shifter would that made it over heat?
Where's the best place to install oil pressure gauge on the block like to see the oil pressure is running still kinda over heating if you run it to long still trash coming though the pet **** on the block .I heard vinagar works is that right? thanks for any new reply !
Oil pressure tap is a 1/8" pipe hole on block flange right above starter. CLR calcium lime and rust remover works too. just flush completely. I sometimes remove radiators, turn them upside down, and flush them with a high volume of water from the bottom too clear tops of tubes. the shifters are the same as ag tractors such as the 820, 1020, 1520, 2020 etc. left stick is range; up and right is low (I), down and left(i think) is high(II). right stick is speed. up left; 1, down left; 2, down right; 3, up right; 4. reverse is only available in low without modification. column shifter is just the direction reverser. John Deere schematics listed on their parts webpage.