My 310B has some suspected visual oil in coolant, sample results from lab confirmed that it was oil. I have searched here and other places on-line to help with troubleshooting. Also, I am repairing the broken radiator neck and noticed the water pump wobbled a little so I thought I would rebuild the water pump and replace the small cooler lines while I am in there. I placed the oil cooler in a bucket of soapy water with air supply line hooked to one of the coolant lines. Pressure ranged from 10-70 psi, books says oil pressure is 50psi +/- 15psi and I over shot my gauge a little. There was no air bubbles once it stabilized from being submerged. See the attached pictures. >Am I testing the oil cooler correctly? >Does this rule out the oil cooler? >Could the water pump/seals let oil in coolant? >I believe the other things would be; 1)head gasket 2)head crack or warp 3) deteriorated ?sleeve
I have a 310D so I am interested in your post but I don't have any answers for you except that I am quite sure the water pump cannot let oil in the coolant. The water pump is normally mounted to the motor but not connected to the motor. One question. What is that thing that looks like a muffler? I hope someone helps you out soon. Seems there is not a lot of activity on this forum this last week. Quest everyone is busy. Good luck.
That's the 'ball bearing' at least that's what Deere calls it. http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/...s.HomePageServlet_Alt?search=model&model=310b I remember reading something about a water pump could cause oil to leach in coolant, but can't remember where or if it was for a different brand engine. Sometime a google search get you to information overload. Thanks for the reply.
That's the 'ball bearing' at least that's what Deere calls it. The water pump bearing and shaft assembly, Right?
Yes, that's the old one that was pressed out when the put the new one in along with the impeller and seal kit. So are you having a similar problem of oil in water with your machine?
No, at least not yet. Just like to learn anything I can about our machines.
Wondering what you found to be the problem. I have a Gen Set with a 5030 John Deere and it has oil in the water. I pressure checked my cooler to 90 psi in a similar way you did. Google searches say it is possibly the timing gear cover gasket leaking. Others are saying possibly water pump, but I doubt this one. Want to learn from others experiences before I tear it down.
I have not found the problem yet. I have just been keeping an eye on fluids to see if things get worse.
Wow, it's been a year and you still just notice a trace of oil in the coolant?!? I'm guessing I have about 3 gallons of oil in my coolant. It started blowing the chocolate milkshake out of the radiator overflow. My guys refilled the oil to finish the last 15' of the job. About 2 years ago I had the stealership replace the water pump to a tune of $1300. I sure hope my problem isn't tied to that. On a different forum they suggested pulling the oil pan & oil filter and pressurizing the whole coolant system and waiting several hours to see if any water drips came out anywhere, including out of the oil cooler. I may try this next chance I get. First I have to get a different gen set I just bought with a 4b cummins mounted in my trailer to replace this boat anchor. I have 2 of these 5030 engines on gen sets. Both have given me problems. My old White/Hercules that got replaced by a Deere hasn't done anything but use a little oil and leak a little diesel, no matter how bad I neglected it. If you have any other suggestions, please post.
I saw the drop the oil pan/pressurize coolant test somewhere as well but just haven't tried it, but it seems to be a good test. IIRC, someone posted that the liners in these engines are prone to pitting from coolant not being changed regularly and/or an additive missing or being depleted from the coolant.
Called stealership again. He didn't think it was possible for oil to pump into the coolant in the timing cover. There isn't any pressurized oil in there. He said head - warped/cracked/gasket or sleeves. He agreed, pressurizing the coolant system can help find the problem. Guess I'll find out when I get the bill. Might be a little while until I actually bring it to him though since I have the 4b cummins generator installed and going now.