Background: Had a sound like wire wrapped around the axle on the left side while moving. Checked fluids, axles etc and nothing was noticeable on the surface. Machine is in a location and a task that I just couldn't attempt myself so I called Deere. They said the axle housing is scored and a few other things need replaced. The axle housing is apparently 'unsupported' and a used one needs to be found. Questions: Does anyone have a parts source for used JD parts? Can these be rebuilt/resurfaced?
How did the housing get scored. Did the axle bearing seize up and spin in the housing. If so, that may be repairable by installing a new bearing with JB Weld around the bearing race. Its surprising what you can do with that stuff.
I dont think it was a bearing, they said something about a pin came loose or something. I should get more info. tomorrow and maybe slip by their shop to see the axle. I am just going off there word now.
Yes indeed. It's always a good idea to get all the facts together and run it by this forum. May learn how to save lots of cash. But then again the dealer may be right on. But its best to buy after the research is done. Good luck.
The way I run my shop, if there's carnage of machine components, I encourage them to stop by and view the damage. There's no reason that your dealer shouldn't show you what they've found and what's required to repair. JMHO
It was the planetary pins snap ring that gave way. The pin loosened and scored the housing. The gears in the planetary and the shaft had broken pieces and scoring. Take a look at the pics and let me know your thoughts.
Don't let em tell you, sell you, a housing Scout. Yes, it has a score in it, but it's not a problem. When everything is back in proper place, bearings are carrying load of components, that score ain't nothing. But it's gonna cost you to rebuild that planetary, bearings for axle, and getting all the fragments of metal out of rear axle housing. But I don't see a need for axle housing judging from the pic you posted.
I was wondering about that. Looking at the service manual it looks like it has some clearance in that area not a bearing surface. There were some parts in with the salvage rear that would be required if re-using mine. Do you think the strength has been compromised by the scoring?
See the links below. Wow what a difference, 5x the money. This is one item that would be included with the salvage rear along with the planetary items. I'm mid way through a special project and need to get it back up soon or I might try to tackle this myself. It also is not at my house. Decisions.... decisions http://www.greenfarmparts.com/John_Deere_Drive_Shaft_T71926_p/t71926.htm http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Afterma...ipment_Parts&hash=item4aabe46cb9#ht_729wt_952
That's real hard for me to say as I'm simply looking at a picture. If it's just the scoring that's in question, weld or braze it, grind it back down flush. The question I have is the condition of the ring gear, is it damaged? I don't know if the ring gear is available.
The ring gear does have some damage but it looks salvageable, however the donor rear likely will have a better one. Your right, according to dealer the ring gear is not available. I guess it would be like the rear, unsupported but try to find a salvage. Up until now I was pretty confident that parts could be found from Deere or aftermarket but I'm not sure now.
Best of luck with the repairs, keep us posted.
Well the repair is done. Had to go with Deere due to urgency and location as mentioned above. It was about a wash to go with a complete used axle that had the planetary, ring and other components. It was gone through and I guess you would call it resealed. Thanks everyone for the replies.
My planetary gear was more damaged than yours. Each of the 3 gears were broken in pieces with the largest piece being the size of 1/3 of a gear. IIRC it costed about $1000 for used/new parts to rebuilt the planetary gear assembly, shaft and new ring gear. Now my 1977 is running like a champ.