hopefully someone can help me out here. I am:Banghead here. The backhoe will not move forward or reverse. I have taken out the reverser and replaced the clutches, and plantary gear. Pulling the reverser is a pain in the rear to say the least. I have pulled it out 6 times. I pulled it out first because it woulf not go forward, found clutchs worn, replaced clutches and it works for 2 days, then same problem, pull it and find bad plantary gear, fix it then it will not go forward. We had the plantary gear installed by the dealer, and after getting it back it works for a few days. Then it will not go forward. We go buy a used reverser and put it in and it goes forward but will not go backward:Banghead we pull it and the clutches are worn and plates are busted, we tak the new clucthes out od the orginal one and put in the used one and put it back together, it works for 2 days. We go out the third day and it will not move forward or reverse:Banghead we have 4500.00 in parts and labor. I think it must be something else, we have the parts book and everything seems to be going together corectlly. What do you think?
We have also had the Torque converter rebuild and bought a new Charge pump:beatsme Any suggestions?
Have you checked all your mechanical linkage, is not seized, sticky, worn and adjusted correctly ? Duff
The linkage in the reverser has stops on both ends of a two position valve. All the way forward or all the way reverse with netural in the middle. I would think there were a filter somewhere, but the only one I can find is the screen in the bottom of the pan. It has to be a valve stopping up. Everytime we take the reverser out and put it back in it works for a little bit. But thats about a 4 hour job, gettting it out and putting it back in. It has to be something we are over looking. Maybe I need to check the electrical wiring to the reverser:beatsme After I get the dozer put back together(replaced a seal in the final drive) I can make some money to put in the backhoe:Banghead
It could be crap in a valve, or maybe the electrical kickout for loading/shifting is shorting and kicking the drive connection out. Bypass the switch to see if that is the problem. I have a 310C, and other than those and the linkage adjustment, I'm out of immediate ideas.
I got the Dozer fixed and worked it about 2 1/2 hours today, I will try and get this road built tomorrow and then get to work on the backhoe. That could be the problem, I was pushing the disconnect on the handle and it was still moving one time. Thanks
Guess what!! Yeah its been a bad week. Looks like I will be pulling out the reverser again tomorrow. Same thing, will not go forward or backward. Well it will go forward about 10 -15 feet before it stops. I hope I remember what we did last time so it will be a quick fix. Needs a little down time, after all it is Turkey Season. LOL
With out me looking at the Hydraulic lines on the schematic sheet on how hydraulic fluid is fed to and from the reverser, I'm going to blindly say (perhaps sounding ignorant) that what your going through seems like the reverser is being starved for hydraulic fluid just enough to burn out parts of it at a time. this is why its always something different when you pull it apart...., I'm having a situation with my JD310c and I want to look into the reverser in detail, I think my hydraulics being jittery under load when cold has something to do with the reverser and the way hydraulic fluid runs through it, so if I see something that might interest you I'll post back in case you haven't figured it out just yet. Joe
Thanks Joe, I have took it apart and it seems to be in good working order. I ended up blowing out the valves, and have put it back together. Maybe this week-end I can get it back together. SO I can start working on the JD 350, Looks like the engine on it has seized up. It's always something. I hope the JD550 can push it out of the hollow so we can get it up to where we can work on it.
Yeah tnturkey, i was going to say exactly what you just mentioned. I looked at the fluid flow schematic and there are valves in there that reverse the fluid flow, obviously when you take it apart this time take great care to see if the valves open and close all the way, like if they stick or only open part ways starving fluid to one direction burning it out... good luck with it, post back when you find something...
Hope you can find it out soon, I have the same problem with my 210c, just took the reverser out yesterday and was planning to take it apart this week. First it was hard to move forward and reverse worked fine, but last week it didn't go forward and only slow backwards.
I am having issues with my 1983 510b reverser not engaging unless I rev it up and hold it there for 20 seconds...control valve? or pressure plates? ...can new plates be installed in frame, just by removing big circular plate on back of reverser? help
Hi bigboytoy, I have a feeling the moderator is going to put you into a new tread of your own to look for help on your reverser problem, or ask that you start your own new "Thread". this way your not mixing in your reverser problem with "tnturkey's" problem who started this tread about his reverser problem. Did you happen to start a tread of your own already? I'd like to read through it if you have, perhaps I can suggest something. Meanwhile, when you mentioned after 20 seconds the reverser kicks in and works, at that point is the unit operating properly? as if there is nothing wrong with it? or are you still gunning it up there with a high idle each time you need to get it to move?
joeeye59 I fixed it...with advice from above about the linkage.....its an old machine, the clutch is not used to often, It has a very tight return spring on it I simple let it slam on return, this caused a sudden in gear action telling me that it is out of adjustment, I was loosing pressure to the reverser because the clutch was slightly engaged....wow easy fix thanks to these forums.
Thats great bigboytoy... !! Isn't this forum the best ever!!! Good to hear you nailed it thanks for letting me know what was wrong.
My 310C has consumed the reverser. Looking for a rebuild now. Does anyone know a reputable source, preferably in Canada?
Hello, tnturkey , did you find your problem?? I also replaced the clutch plates and mine does the same right know, did nothing before, but is going slow forward and good backwards