As you guys know, I'm in the market for a used TLB, but the terex dealer suggested I try one of their new Terex's today. I was pessimistic, but I actually liked most of it. Plenty of power has Perkins 1104C diesel that CAT uses at 92 gross/ 86net HP. The hood tilts back easily even if the loader arms are down. Has a stainless exhaust stack, too. Radiator tilts forward. All routine maintenance can be done easily from the ground on the left side. Has Turner 4 speed trans w/ 3.01 stall ratio. The front end loader is massive, steel looks thicker than most other TLB's I looked at the cross brace on the loader is huge. Loader lift capacity is a whopping 7604 lbs! It was plumbed to the front. The backhoe was massive with 1" thick steel mounts and had joystick controls! :cool2 First time I ever used them and I thought they were exceptionally smooth, but I had nothing to compare them to since it was my first time. The backhoe lines are almost entirely concealed in the boom from damage. It was plumbed to the rear for breaker/tamper, etc. Cab; the cab was nice & roomy, but a little less refined than others I've used. The fit & finish was a little lacking, but not enough to turn you off. The KAB suspension seat was real comfortable with lots of adjustments. The 4x4 control was real unique, but kind of hard to understand. i won't bore you with the details. There were onlly the basic 3 gauges. Loader control was decent with 3rd valve & trans lockout button. Cab had A/C with 3 speed fan & well positioned ducts. All the usual stuff, wipers, washers, lights, horn, pre wired for stereo with speakers, too. The front tires were big 12.5/80/18, bigger than most I see. The pilot controls were kinda hard to get in place. You swivel your seat, then push down a pedal, then pull the pilot arms down towards you. Then you're ready to roll. The plastic did feel a bit "cheap", and the pilot arms were a little tough to battle with at first, but the controls themseves felt fine. The view out back is nice because the dipper is very narrow. Anyway, the best part is the price: $59,000 for all those features, plus 0% for 3 years or 1.5% for 4 years and a 3 yr 3600 hour warranty thrown in the package. It's no John Deere or CAT, but it's like $25,000 less, too. It's tempting. I just thought I'd share my experiences with you.
in 97 I demoed a JCB/Deere/Case/Cat/ and Fermec which is now called Terex. Of all the machines demoed, all but the Cat at least 3 days and up to 5 days for a small town highway dpt. the Fermec or terex for the most part ran cirlces around the others,, Not the fanciest fit and finished cab, correct, just basic and dry, great machine..
:my2c never ran a terex ,but cheaper isn't always better. you get what you pay for
IMO Fermec's are POS's, but I do have limited seat time on one so...
Why?:beatsme Anyway, the best part is the price: $59,000 for all those features, plus 0% for 3 years or 1.5% for 4 years and a 3 yr 3600 hour warranty thrown in the package. It's no John Deere or CAT, but it's like $25,000 less, too. And, most Deere's or Cat's don't lose almost half their value after 2 years and 950 hrs.
And if you set up a contest with that Fermec,I'll run circles around that with my 410G.
Neither do Terex. Most 2 yr old terex's are worth about 80% of their original purchase value based on the 30-40 I've looked in rock&dirt, machinery trader, etc. . Even if you took a couple thousand of the asking price of these Terex's, they are 4-5 years old and selling for about 75% of their new purchase price. A 760 in 2003 sold for about $45,000. Look at these. http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...5696625&guid=C861B711CE3840B3AC7149EE3F5611CA http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...5806629&guid=C861B711CE3840B3AC7149EE3F5611CA http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...5907933&guid=C861B711CE3840B3AC7149EE3F5611CA http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...5862172&guid=C861B711CE3840B3AC7149EE3F5611CA You know, I'm not sure which members here actually purchased their machines with their own money, but to be honest, I don't have $100,000 bucks laying around for a new JD 410G. I know they're better, and I'd love to have one, but I have kids, mortgage, bills and other equipment to pay for. I think it's pretty easy to say that "Cat & deere are the best so why buy anything else?" Pretty obvious statement there. I don't run my backhoe 8/day 5/week, so I don't need the very best. I have a plain IH dumptruck, not a chrome Peterbilt and it's the same with a backhoe, I just need a machine that's reasonably priced and makes me some money. You pay a lot of extra mark-up for a big name like CAT or Deere, some of that money is deserved, some of it is because of a fancy name. When you read what pumps, valves, engines, transmissions, axles, cabs, and buckets are used in them, they share about 80% common parts.
Kind of a rule of thumb that can be used is if you are using your machine less than 500 hours a year then we cant justify a new machine in our market. There are other markets that are different and possibly more lucritve and you could get away buying a new machine and run less hours per year. We currently have 5-6+ guys working for us durring the summer where we are full time excavating and hauling and we never run new equipment. If you are not running that backhoe that often why aren't you buying used? Just to clarify I am not attacking your decision to buy new, I am just wondering if it is a substantually better deal to buy that terex than used equipment in your area. Another thing that I would like to mention is that we find service and reliability of equipment play a bigger part than purchase price. I am not a brand guy at all but that piece of equipment better keep working because we only have a 8-9 month season and if that machine is down you are giving away work that will be done at the end of the season. Down time hurts more than payments. No matter how efficient the dealership is at fixing your equipment, if it always needs to be fixed that doesn't help any.
Thanks. Yes, I am looking at used equipment, matter of fact, the Terex was the only piece I looked at that was new. I've looked at 10 or 12 used machines and most were nice, I'm just trying to keep all my options open. I probably will end up with a used machine. Going to look at a Case today.
Just to clarify I am not attacking your decision to buy new, I am just wondering if it is a substantually better deal to buy that terex than used equipment in your area. What he said!:notworthy
case 580 ,,,, hopefully less the 3k hrs,,,,, 25grand ,,,, best money you will ever spend ,,,,, sell it 5 yrs later w 5k hrs ,,, 20k no brainer R:usa
I've looked at 4 case's and I'm looking at this one on Monday. http://www.machinerytrader.com/list...5832362&guid=E2882A1992184CE4A6C2D045292FEFC2
I don't think you're attacking me either! I fully understand a new machine is "overkill", but the Terex's are soooo cheap and come with a great warranty and financing, you can make a great arguement for buying one.
dont forget the 4/1 bucket ,, its a must,, i use mine every job i have
I put that in there 'cause sometime e-mail and text can be easily misinterpeted from what you were actually trying to say. I hear you with the warranty and financing. That is a major debate and I don't think there is a right answer. You can run the numbers and find out that it is more expensive to run a new piece of equipment but there are a lot of other decisions that go into that purchase. If you buy used you will likely be putting repairs into your equipment sooner which increases the actual cost of the machine. A new machine should last you longer on average than an used machine. You may get more work by having a new piece of equipment because your customers perceive it to be more reliable than the next guy. You can disagree with me on this next point but some customers like to see a sparkling new piece of equipment in their yard as much as the operator likes running one. An accountant told me. "run your numbers and find out what makes sense financially, then think like and entrepenuer and decide what will make you the most money. Don't let your accoutant run your business!" Quick story about that acountant. He had a customer that he offered his services to and he ran a drug store (Kinda like Walgreens). This drug store had a Post office at the back of the store. After reviewing his books the accountant noticed that the Post office lost him 15-20k per year, then informed him that he should cut it loose. The owner flat out refused. His justification is that a lot of people walk through his store to pick up their parcels and on their way out most of them buy something. This drives home the point. Don't let an accountant make your business decisions for you.
Amen!,if it can dig you a hole and bring in the money for the lowest cost possible I say buy it who cares what color it is or what name is on it. Whatever machine you decide to buy it can't go wrong since it'll be paying your bills which is what its all about. Good luck on your purchase.
this is your baby no 4/1 but a super low hr work horse and i dont think it will loose much value so resale could be 12k 13k:usa http://www.bargainnews.com/viewad.cfm?Show_Notepad=Yes&bnAd_ID=6439351&TheDealer=
That is a nice older machine. Probably a little to old & prone to breaking down for me. Thanks for finding that one! Good ol case!
i built my business with a super e ,, it never failed to make me money ,, i put over 6k hrs on it and sold it with 10k hrs,,,, for the 13k it costs ,, you could start with this then in 2 yrs move up to a newer TLB i bet it wouldnt skip a beat till 4k hrs ,,maybe more
I believe you. I've been in the business for 20 years, so I'm not just starting out. I used to have a Ford 555 4x4 Extravator backhoe and I just sold a $30,000 TLB. I planned on something even more substantial. Nice macine, though!
ahh,, i got it ,,sorry , i didnt mean to imply that you were starting out,, , i just can't see the 50k plus to buy a new machine that isnt used at least 30 hrs a week,, just isnt good business sense,,, i was in a similar spot and went for the less expensive machine,,, it paid off more then i could of imagined, i traded up to a 95 580sl with 900 hrs on it ,also an "older" machine , i use my TLB maybe 75hrs a month,, i see these guys get in debt all the time and i see their machines for sale in a year??? just isnt good business sense IMO i guess if you are going to spend over 35k might as well get what you want :drinkup
It's OK, really.....you hit the nail right on the head. I won't be using the machine day in and day out. The issue with me is I hate rust, breakdowns and equipment that makes you look bad. I'm also not a youngster anymore so options like a comfortable cab are worth some extra $$ to me. I'm trying to walk that fine line between equipment that's reliable, but won't cost me that "debt" you so truthfully spoke of..... Thanks for your honest opinions. I appreciate that more than someone telling me to buy a new Deere because I'll really love it. Reality is, as much as I'd like to have it, most small guys like me couldn't afford anything like that.
good luck with your search ill keep an eye out for something newer R
I just bought a 2005 760B I like it swell so far.
Auctioneerhere, I can't seem to send a private message... I thought I would get your opinions on your TX760B. I have been thinking of one as well. I have been watching the auctions a little but haven't gotten one yet. I might have to jump soon on a 2003 Cat 420D if I want it, but I would rather have a Case 590 if going with a big name backhoe. I never hear much bad about the Terex line except maybe is its a little antiquated compared to the others. The amount of plastic used for the cabs and fenders is a little disturbing but I am sure is fine for my use. Thought I would ask how your Terex is running.
terex used machines can be had for around 25K with anywhere from 600 hrs to 1500 hrs , for me the big thing is resale value. If I paid 59K for the unit and had to sell it for less then 35K three years later with 1500 hrs , I would be pissed! I have been to this dealer several times and guys I know have got equipment from them, they dont sell junk ! I have seen 2005 terex 760 at the same place fro 29,999 also. http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=6326798&dlr=1
A few guys have t-rex's were I work. I talked with one own/op he loves his and is soon to buy another. Had trouble with the alternator a few times but otherwise likes the machine alot. Machines work day in day out averaging about 1200hours a season give or take. Ive never even sat in one myself and wouldnt touch any thing but deere or case. Brookside is a good dealer. My father bought a Hitachi EX100 from them, never had a problem. They have a friend of mines 580SK, they just listed it. Could use a some tlc but its a good older machine cheap.
Just because theyre asking that don't mean theyre getting that price for them or selling them. Nobody wants pig iron. But you get what you pay for thats why deere and cat are still leading in resale value, that and their product support
I had to pass on a 2003 Cat 420D with 2,100 hours for $32,000. I need to get my next job lined up before making a big investment like that. That seemed like a pretty fair deal since it had a 4 in 1 and included 2 other rear buckets. I don't know if I truly want pilot operated controls. It was a one owner/operator machine with all the options. Nice paint, newer rear tires but the original front tires. Since my backhoe purchase will be my first, I think some of the benefits that could be found with buying a Cat/Case/Deere are not valid for me. I will have no real operational preference so a lot of debate is nullified right there. I won't spend 50hrs a week in the cab either. Just to have a cab in the first place is Cadillac treatment for me. Structurally speaking, I can't say that I have heard any negative about a Terex. I think they are of an older design with plenty of years on it. But so I ask here on the forum to get any input if possible. Just recently reading through this site a little bit I saw that the 420D can have structural issues in multiple areas. Maybe that is reason enough to stick with Deere or Case if going with a big name. Perhaps there are some issues with Terex’s powertrain components or their support systems? Are the axles, transmission and engine similar in quality and strength to the others? I haven’t read much about the long-term durability of these major components. My impression is that they are not a whole lot different. Perhaps Terex has saved money on the smaller stuff like pumps, valves, cylinders, hoses, tires, cab, etc? If it has cheaper gear pumps rather than variable displacement, that is probably a good thing for me. It would be bad if expensive items such as the cylinder rods are junk. I had noticed that on the new 2007 machines I looked at late last year, the tires were already cracking up pretty good. They are all details to factor into the worth of a machine. As for re-sale, I am not too concerned if I buy a cheaper backhoe. The only reason to sell a nice shiny $25k backhoe is if it is having major breakdowns. I know they operate nicely and I know I can get parts and service in a reasonable amount of time. Their buying price has gotten so low that the depreciation will slow a little. Buying a $35,000 Deere, Case, or Cat hurts the wallet a lot more – tying up another $10k and they’ll probably have more hours on them. Anyone know of any major changes for the Terex backhoes through the years? I guess perhaps some changes with the hydraulic systems? I also will try to find a TX860 if I can, for the bigger tires. I don’t really need the extra HP and hydraulics but it doesn’t hurt. Of course I would like a TX970 as the equal-sized tires fit my needs better. However, there are not many out there and the prices are too high. I should have been more proactive by making a trip to Florida earlier this year to look at a 2003 NH LB115 with maybe 1,600 hours. It sold for $21k…. By the way, if I will consider a Terex, how does a Volvo BL70 compare? I know they are a heavier machine and look pretty nice but I don’t know how they hold up. They don’t seem to be selling too well either but their prices are higher than a Terex. According to their website at some point they made some major changes such as with the brakes, loader arms, and weight distribution. Anyone know which year this occurred? I would guess it is too recent for me to be able to afford one of those models. I will want good brakes – they said they made major improvements there. Right now I am just collecting information on the different brands, especially Terex. Maybe Volvo or a NH LB115 – just depends on what I find out there. I don’t want to tie up too much money with this backhoe but I will spend enough to get a machine that will last over the years. The Terex and Volvo machines look nice for the money so any thoughts on these machines and particular years to look for? Of course if the right deal on a Case or Deere comes along... Greg
As far as I know the t-rex has the same engine as a Cat and the same axles/trans as a Case. Perkins engine and Carraro drive train.
Back from the dead, Just an update: I have had my 760B for a long time now. It is worth it's weigh in gold. No complaints, no real problems, have put quite a few hours on it.
Auctioneerhere. Could you give us the details? How many hours when you bought it; how many now? What kind of work you used it for ect.
I think it had 1800 hours when I bought it. It has about 3,000 now. I have used it for loading trucks, digging ditch & snow removal. The past two weeks I have been using it 8+ hours a day moving gravel and scoria. I am not a contractor.
Looks like you averaged 100 hours per month. Good to hear that it's been treating you well.
I don't remember what year it was, but I went and looked at a new one (760B, I think) that the dealer was just trying to get rid of. They had discounted it down to $39,995! It was 4WD, but pretty basic besides that. I remember thinking that it was a nice looking machine, but I couldn't afford it at the time.
The loader bucket seems thicker, but it's hollow. I know, I had a tear in the back edge on mine. It's an old hoe (2009) with 9700 hours when I bought it. Slowly fixing things right.