Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

john deere 310c BH bucket cylinder dissasembly

geminijo · 2019-04-29 11:24

When I try to loosen the large cylinder nut the internal rod guide also spins.The deere manual says that when this happens you should put the cylinder in a bench vise,clamping the cylinder right behind the nut and clamp it only tight enough so the cylinder doesn't turn when attempting to loosen the nut.Has anyone had experience with this procedure that might give me some ideas as to it's effectiveness and also any tips or cautions when trying this? Any information is appreciated.

Replies8
  1. #1Delmer2019-04-29 13:01

    You could use hydraulic pressure if you didn't want to risk clamping it in a vice. I don't see any problem with clamping it though. Or you could try knocking the nut loose with a blunt chisel or punch, or air hammer.

  2. #2geminijo2019-04-29 16:49

    Delmer,I did get the nut to turn by using a blunt chisel but the problem is that the internal rod guide(that the large external cylinder nut is threaded to) spins along with the nut so they won't come apart they just spin(as one assembly) within the cylinder. What do you mean using hydraulic pressure

  3. #3Delmer2019-04-29 19:08

    extend the rod out against the gland by using hydraulic pressure, like a farm tractor, paint sprayer, pressure washer, portapower or grease gun. Those last two have higher ratings so be careful.

  4. #4Bls repair2019-04-29 21:11

    What I do if I can’t hold the rod is put back on the machine with pin in ,block it up with wood and hav at it. You don’t have to worry about rod turning

  5. #5avfirey2019-04-29 21:27

    As Bls repair stated. Once shaft is out of cylinder reinsert it into its mount, put pin back in, support shaft & undo nut with appropriate spanner, rattle gun or whatever as it now cannot spin. You may have issues now if you have butchered the nut with chisel.

  6. #6Delmer2019-04-29 23:10

    BLS and Firey, I think this is a JD style gland that has a retaining nut pulling the gland out tight against an internal retaining ring. The nut doesn't unscrew the gland, it unscrews FROM the gland. The gland will rotate in the cylinder.

  7. #7LN Pipeline2021-01-30 16:07

    I think I may have encountered the same issue on my old man’s John Deere 265 ag loader. This is the cylinder that I’m trying to take apart. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/68608/referrer/navigation/pgId/20541210 Both ends of the lift ram are still pinned. I broke the spanner nut loose. Now it seems the nut, and whatever it is threaded to, is just spinning inside the cylinder. Do I need to un-pin the rod end, use the hydraulics to push the piston out and put pressure on the rod guide, then try to loosen the spanner nut? And then remove a snap ring under the spanner nut? The gland end of the cylinder looks just like the picture that Delmer posted above.

  8. #8Delmer2021-01-30 16:34

    yes, if it's the same style gland, then you need some hydraulic pressure on that gland to hold it tight to remove the lock nut, then release the hydraulic pressure to push the gland in to remove the lock ring. Retracting the cylinder will put pressure on that gland, or extending the rod all the way so the piston is against the gland, with the rod end loose from the pin.