I have a fluid leak coming from the bottom of the rear end/crash box housing just in front of the rear axle housing. It appears that 2 or 3 of the 7/16" cover bolts might have been stripped. I looked at the parts diagram exploded view to see if anything major might come loose should I attempt to remove the cover and install heli-coils to repair. But what isn't clear in either the shop manual or the parts diagram is if anything else is attached internally if I unbolt it. Has anyone out there had experience with the rear end housing? Thanks.
Are you referring to Part No. 61, the lower cover under the Center Housing, Section 05 Rear Axle, Page (04C01) That's the hole that the drop box (transfer case) fits up into when you have 4WD. Drain the center housing, pull the cover and replace the gasket. Helicoils should be no problem. I've never tried to substitute a 3/8" helicoil for a 7/16" hole but you might investigate that option since the bolts are only holding the cover plate, not the drop box. Here's a link, I think, to Page (04C01). https://www.messicks.com/nhc/48653
The link didn't go to the correct page. You'll have to go to (05) Rear Axle and then click on the last page thereunder, (04C01). I didn't realize the Edit function worked here. You might want to go to Section (06) Front Axle & Steering (same link) and take a look at Page (03E09) Transfer Case FWD. That will show you what all fits up into that hole and why there will be nothing there (except a whole lot of oil if you fail to drain the center housing first) when you pull the cover plate off.
Thanks for the reply Chuck. No, the cover I'm referring to is part number 41, the side cover. After having successfully rebuilt the power reverser shuttle I'm reluctant to pull off a part that may lead me into a can of worms.