Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 310C weak dipper and bucket

CumminsTD ยท 2010-03-30 01:42

I have a John Deere 310C and the hydraulics for the dipper boom and curling the bucket seam weak. I don't think it's my pump as the rest of the hydraulics seam fine ie. no problems lifting both ends off the ground, loader digs well etc. It just seams when I'm digging and trying to pull with the dipper or curl the bucket it doesn't have the nuts that it should. I can hear it load the engine and the RPMS will drop about 150-200 (maybe more). I have a manual for the machine and I see that there's relief valves on the control valves and I wonder if maybe these are dumping too soon so I'm not getting full pressure. Is there a way I can test the relief valves, measure line pressures or do some simple diagnostics to see if things are working the way they should? I've only owned the machine for a little while, it's been this way since day one. Thanks, Mike

Replies5
  1. #1maytag2010-03-30 03:45

    weak circuits You should be able to test your circuits-not sure whether you will have factory test ports or whether you will need to tee into the lines for a gage. Good luck and be safe, Tom

  2. #2Tinkerer2010-03-30 07:51

    I use an oxygen gauge that was made for an oxygen/acetylene torch. Be sure to pipe it with a hose and fitting that will handle the pressure.

  3. #3CumminsTD2010-03-30 20:39

    Thanks for the information guys. I'll look into the test ports otherwise I guess I'll have to tap into the lines. Would it be best to T into the line so the cylinder still gets pressure or just screw a fitting onto the end of the line and check if it's producing the required pressure. I also need to figure out what's normal for pressure. I have a 5000psi liquid filled hydraulic pressure gauge that should work fine, I'm sure I can come up with some hydraulic hose and fittings once I figure out where I'm hooking it up. Mike

  4. #4BulldozerRay2010-03-31 13:31

    Good advice Appreciate reading in on all the good advice...

  5. #5maytag2010-03-31 20:22

    I would T into the line if factory test ports aren't provided-i also would check for cylinder bypass. Enough leakage across the piston will not allow you to reach full pressure/force. Tom