I just purchased an older 70's model Case 580B CK backhoe. I have operated many types of machinery in my many years, but am not real familiar with this particular machine. It has a gear shift selector on the floor and a forward and reverse selector control on the left side of the steering wheel. As I have already found out, this type of shuttle shift needs some time to warm up before it will do much moving. It is very strong however once it is warmed up, so I am assuming it is working properly. One question I have at this time, is it alright to shift from forward to reverse while still moving forward? Or should the machine be stopped prior to shifting? The brakes need work and I am working on a hilly road easement to some property I bought. So it is difficult to get it stopped before shifting everytime. Also, what type of engine oil is best for these older diesels? Thanks
I'm not a case man but on my FORD i always come to a complete stop or very close to it,i've seen many things happen by operators "slamming" gears so i'd say try to get close to being stopped,transmissions/rear ends are pricey to repair why take the chance. and as far is oil any currant API CI4 or CJ4 HDEO 15w40 will work, pick a known brand like any of the "big 3"(Delo,Rotella,Delvac) and go with it,your unit will live a long healthy life.
I agree, no need to look for trouble, parts are getting harder to find and the work involved to access your shuttle is significant. Best thing you can do for your shuttle is come to a stop and idle down before shifting. Not sure what the operators manual says though, likely the same. Treat the shuttle on a 580B well, give it an oil and filter change also. Phil
I appreciate the help. I have been spending quite of bit of time on this site the last couple of days, and have learned a lot. That's what I love about these forums. As with all forums however, I have to try to seperate fact from fiction. I found the one post saying they replaced the shuttle fluid with Dexron, and had great results. Since I plan to change all the fluids and filters on this machine, I was interested in any adverse issues, if any, with using Dexron. Anything I can do to improve the performance of this machine without harming anything is great by me. Even if it might cost a bit more, it's all worth it in the long run.
I have thought about that for some time, the use of ATF in a 580B shuttle and I really don't know what to tell you. However Case knew they had an issue with this shuttle in cold weather from new and advised the dealers to raise the machine and turn the back wheels for a few minutes. They did not suggest the change in oil type at the time, that I'm aware of. Phil
Sounds like I should avoid Dexron then. What is the manufacturer's recommended fluid for the shuttle shift?
forward revese problem. No power. Also trans problem. Works a bit when first started, then very little power. It is a 580B gas 188 197?? with forwrd & rev on left of steering. Motor does not stall out . Works fine with the hoe working. Have a hard time getting around. Will not push anything in low gear, and will not go over something as small as a speed bump on the road. Saw posts re:shuttle pump pick-up screen. Tempted to go there. Does the Machine need to be split to get to this thing? Thanks for looking. Dennis
Tryingt to post 3 messages to become junior. Am I in the right place?
Dennis
dennis
Dennis, do you have a working clutch pressure gauge on your dash? Shuttle oil level is checked by removing the fill plug on the right rear corner of the shuttle cover. Check clutch adjustment(attached) with foot off clutch pedal, see picture. Phil
Good post PHIL, I put that info up in word form on another post. The distance is changed by turning the cam bolt after loosening the nut on the inside end of the bolt. Fellas there is a TC pressure regulator next to the main control valve for the clutch and shuttle that can be jammed open and the machine will hardly move due to no TC charge pressure, The valve with a sender in top on a B has a 1/8 pipe plug to check TC charge pressure. Start and run with the shuttle in neutral and read the pressure---30-40 lbs should be ok, if you lose it in f&r you probably have clutch pac leakage or sealing ring leakage in the torque tube. Good luck
Thanks Phil Will Check it out. Do not have a pressure guage, But will check oil level. Will Post results as I go Along. Thanks Dennis
ignore this post 1
ignore this post as well 2
ignore this post as well 3
ignore this post as well 1