Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 310E Backhoe with trans fluid pushing up dipstick?

JL Sargent ยท 2018-07-17 01:55

I was using the backhoe today and the parking brake light came on. I switched it on and back off and that worked until I put the F-N-R lever back in forward. Then the parking and STOP lights came back on. So I suspected that my transmission fluid might be low. I'm unable to check it though because transmission fluid is up in the dipstick tube. Anybody seen this problem? Transmission seems overfull as it is. Even with tractor turned off fluid seems too high in dipstick tube. Any suggestions appreciated as I don't think it has had too much fluid added to it.

Replies30
  1. #1JL Sargent2018-07-17 10:56

    I called dealer and service manager said that transmission low in fluid cause fluid to get up in dipstick tube and to "add 1 quart and see what ya got."

  2. #2mg23612018-07-17 12:14

    Check the vent on top of the trans. Left side of the machine looking at the transmission top from the engine compartment. There is a tiny little vent that likes to get buried in dirt over time.

  3. #3JL Sargent2018-07-17 12:17

    OK, I'll check that for good measure. I did add a quart to the transmission and was able to drive it out of the woods. I'm afraid I have the dreaded trans fluid to transaxle migration problem.

  4. #4Lee Timmons2018-07-17 13:05

    JL Sargent, if you wouldn't mind could you please explain this "dreaded trans. Fluid to transaxle problem" because I have the exact same thing happening to my 210c. I used it for 4 hours at a neighbors house and when i brought it home, coming up the driveway it kept getting slower and slower, i barely made in to its spot and when i checked the Shuttle fluid it was coming out the top of the fill tube. I'm lost, so if you find anything out please, share it with me! Thank you

  5. #5JL Sargent2018-07-17 16:58

    OK, I'm not so smart about it myself. Apparently the transmission fluid either through the brakes or differential lock or parking brake or ??? can migrate back to the main hydraulic system. My big hydraulic tank has too much fluid in it right now. My transmission is low. It's apparently going there somehow. The question for me right now is how fast is it doing it and can I live with it. What would it cost to repair it? All else seems to work properly except this fluid migration.

  6. #6Lee Timmons2018-07-17 18:32

    JL Sargent, thanks for your quick reply. Did your hoe quit moving in forward and reverse? And at the same time had the overfill condition? Or did it still go into forward and reverse and move under its own power when this occurred? Mine just quit moving in forward and reverse, and when i got off of the machine is when i dicovered the overfilled shuttle tube. thanks again, Lee

  7. #7JL Sargent2018-07-17 19:50

    You have a different problem than me apparently. My 310E is working properly. The parking brake is released by hydraulic pressure from the transmission. When my trans got low in fluid it didn't relase the brake. I'm having an issue with hydraulic fluid slipping by a seal or o-ring somewhere!

  8. #8br14742018-07-17 20:49

    The 310E has a transmission the spins the rear axle forward and backwards. When the inside of the case gets warm oil expands and tries to vent somewhere. usually out the dipstick when the vent as mentioned before is plugged. The transmission fluid in your machine or anything with a torque converter is checked with the engine running. Once you unplug that vent as MG2361 mentioned. the part number is T116918 it will take a 7/16 wrench or 3/8 wrench to remove it and the clean out with break cleaner. Then recheck your oil level

  9. #9br14742018-07-17 20:57

    The 210c has a reverser/shuttle. And a separate transaxle that spins forward and reverse with the speeds inside it. The hydraulic oil level is separate from the reverser oil level. The reverser oil level also needs to be checked with engine running.

  10. #10Lee Timmons2018-07-18 01:28

    BR 1474, thanks for explaining that. I do check the reverser oil level with the machine warmed up, in neutral and running. I'm just at a loss as to what this problem could be. I have found a lot of threads by searching, that say their machines are acting the same, but they never post whether it got fixed or not. thanks again, Lee

  11. #11mg23612018-07-18 05:08

    Lee, as far as the 210C reverser oil coming out of the dipstick I would check the vent on that transmission. Also those Borg Warner (used on the C's)(SE's use a ZF) units had some issues with the park brake return line causing oil to come out of the dipstick when the park brake is applied. There was a change applied to the return routing of the park brake oil to eliminate that issue. If your vent is clear then I suggest seeing your Deere dealer about acquiring the parts to address the park brake return. It will involve reverser removal and drilling so that might be out of a lot of peoples comfort zone.

  12. #12mg23612018-07-18 05:21

    JL, As far as your trans oil going down and your rear axle overfilling (if in fact that is what is happening), then you would most likely have a park brake seal issue. That is what I see most of the time. The only other place would be the diff lock seals. Those two areas use trans oil to apply. Your brakes use oil from the hydraulic system so that would not be your issue.

  13. #13JL Sargent2018-07-18 05:43

    Thanks for the info, I'm working on this today and will report back.

  14. #14Lee Timmons2018-07-18 07:56

    mg 2361,thanks for your help, i really appreciate it. If this would be an issue with the parking brake return line, would that explain why the machine will not move forward or back all of a sudden? They both quit at the same time, so I'm thinking it's not a clutch problem. I could believe it was, if only one direction say forward went but the other surely would be good. My 210c still has the lever down along side the seat that you pull to set the parking brake, not a button on the dash. I thought that my pbrake was a steel band in a groove of a gear or something. Thanks again Lee

  15. #15JL Sargent2018-07-18 12:26

    OK, thank you for clarifying that. I was able to dig out the transmission vent. Accessed it by removed the shroud over the hydraulic tank. (hopefully that's it?) I cleaned all around it real good, removed it. I then cleaned it up like a new penny with brake cleaner. I reinstalled it and cranked the tractor. I let it run a few minutes and checked the trans fluid. Still reading high on the dip stick though. Remember that I had to add a quart to the transmission to get the parking brake released the other day.

  16. #16JL Sargent2018-07-18 13:55

    I'm thinking my problem is actually NOT hydraulic related at all but rather something amiss with the 4wd electrical circuit and simply the previous owner overfilling both the transmission and the axle hydraulic tanks. I'm going to get both tanks down to correct levels and see where we are on this thing.

  17. #17br14742018-07-18 19:49

    The rear axle is it own oil cavity separate from the hydraulic system. All this is confusing I know. However that being said. The park brake and the runs off the transmission. The foot brake runs off the main hydraulic system. But unless the seals are not holding inside the axle then the oil will not overfill the rear axle.

  18. #18JL Sargent2018-07-18 20:50

    This is crazy. After supper I go out and crank the tractor. Cranks fine. I take off parking brake just fine. Raise the loader bucket and push the direction selector to F and tractor does not move???? I then try R and tractor does not move??? Any guess as to what this is all about. I then check transmission fluild level and it is spot on the full mark. This thing is driving me nuts.

  19. #19mg23612018-07-27 12:26

    Check the clutch cutout switch.

  20. #20JL Sargent2018-07-27 12:51

    Thanks, turns out we had bumped the gearshift and simply knocked it out of gear. We are still chasing the MFWD not disengaging on this machine. Suspect internal transmission sliding collar not working.

  21. #21JL Sargent2018-08-03 21:57

    Turns out there must be an issue with the transmission after it gets worked some. I can crank the tractor and fluid level in transmission is right on the full mark. After working the tractor for a while with the loader the fluid seems to go up dipstick and tractor stops moving in forward or reverse. If I let it sit a while it will go back to working properly. Torque converter losing fluid while operating tractor? Then returns while tractor sits?

  22. #22Lee Timmons2018-08-05 16:47

    JL,as i stated earlier, I'm having the exact same issue with my 1989 210c. For the life of me i can't figure out what is wrong with this machine. It came on very suddenly, without any warning whatsoever, i was running it home and coming up the driveway it just quit. No forward or backwards, now when i use it for a little bit it just quits moving, if i shut it off and wait a little while it works perfectly again until its next fit. Also every time it blows oil out of the reverser when it does this. I've checked and double checked the fluid level and alls good. I've cleaned the vent that was mentioned, but no help, checked the reverser sump screen and cleaned, still no good! This thing is going to drive me crazy. i haven't taken the reverser out yet because I am not convinced that the clutches are bad. Anyhow, if you make any progress with yours, please let me know and I'll do the same if i find anything. Lee

  23. #23JL Sargent2018-08-05 17:55

    Might be an assortment of issues going on with mine a least. The parking brake will come on by itself and stop the tractor while in F or R randomly. I can mess with it some in neutral and it will go back off. Then it turns itself back on again a few minutes later. I can turn tractor off and crank it right back up and it will go back to working properly??? Another one: I can put the tractor against a tree and really work it hard with all tires spinning or trying to spin for 15 seconds or so and tractor will lose power in forward or reverse and parking brake will also be trying to come on. Checking dipstick reveals the fluid traveling up the dipstick as I mentioned in post #22. If I let it sit a spell, all will go back to working properly and fluid back to full mark on dipstick. Weird.

  24. #24Del Ingalls2022-08-01 22:49

    Gentlemen, was this issue ever resolved for either of you? I am having very similar issues with my 1995 310D where, when warm and during a shift of gear or FnR, the tractor will not move either direction. Let it cool for 10-15 minutes and everything is fine. I have not been yet able to check levels or for foaming during the event. No interaction off or on with the Park Break on mine though. Let me know if you resolved this?

  25. #25JL Sargent2022-08-02 15:50

    Yes, it was resolved. The transmission's clutch frictions were breaking down and stopping up the transmission pump's pickup screen. This created a crazy amount of suction that actually pulled air around the O-rings between the pump and the transmission. I would not have guessed that was possible. My 15 year old son could actually hear the air getting by (a very high pitched sound). The fix was pulling the trans and going through it. There is a thread here all about it. This is the 310E backhoe so it's different from yours. HeavyEquipmentForums

  26. #26emmett5182022-08-04 06:16

    This sort of thing is why I use a leaf blower on my hoe when I am finished using it. Keeps things clean.

  27. #27Nick G2024-08-12 21:53

    So I have a John Deere 310SE, 2000 year model. I'm wondering does a person check the transmission fluid with the engine running and warm or do you check it cooled off not running? I don't have an owner's manual for mine. Can anyone answer that question that has a manual? Thank you all! I really appreciate the collective knowledge here! Nick

  28. #28Diesel Dave2024-08-12 22:45

    Nick, transmission level is checked with the engine running. At the Deere Bookstore there is an option to download a free copy of the Operators manual. John Deere - Technical Information Bookstore Welcome to John Deere C&F Technical Information Bookstore. This site contains operating, maintenance, and service information. www.johndeeretechinfo.com

  29. #29Nick G2024-08-13 16:59

    Thank you very much!!

  30. #30Nick G2024-08-13 20:54

    I got it downloaded, thanks again for the help Dave! Happy 310SE in WI