Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 310G Pump

mudober ยท 2015-10-31 18:53

My dad bought a 310g, today I ran it for the first time. It has 4000 hrs and the steering would act like it had air in it and stop turning for a second then go again. The loader is slow to raise and dump. The outriggers wouldn't lift it more than 10" with the front bucket down. the hoe is slow with hardly no down pressure. So I figure it needs a new hyd. pump as all cyc. look dry and in good shape. My question is does anyone have any experience with buying a pump off EBAY they have a new one for $550.00. Do you guy's think it would be alright for a farm backhoe? Thanks for your thoughts, Mudober

Replies8
  1. #1Deon2015-10-31 23:37

    Never a good idea to judge the operator but I need to ask, are you an experienced operator? Did you have a load in the front bucket and what was under the front tires and were you moving when you were turning the steering wheel? If you don't have the experience (and please forgive me if you do) it may be a good idea to put an experienced operator at the wheel for another opinion. Also, the G will be slower than the SG. Please don't be offended. Just trying to help. I could be way out of line. Please forgive me if I am.

  2. #2lantraxco2015-11-01 00:27

    Possible you need a pump, on the other hand my best guess from looking at the parts pages is that the inlet section of the backhoe control valve has the priority valve for the steering and the main system relief in it. Loader valve should be power beyond from the backhoe valve. At the very least I would throw a gauge on it and see what you're getting, looks like 3,625 psi for the backhoe, 2,750 at the loader valve. Could be something as simple as a blown O-ring on a relief cartridge, if you're an optimist.

  3. #3hosspuller2015-11-01 10:34

    related question... the pump runs at engine speed. how many rpm's were you operating at ?

  4. #4mudober2015-11-03 20:48

    24 years experience at least. I was operating the hoe at around 1800 rpm and fully warmed up. It was way under powered so I did increase the rpm to 2000 or more just to be able to get the job done as soon as I could. Deon, it was A dry field with no load. I made some pretend passes as if i were loading a tandem. It was slower than it should be and if I turned the steering wheel quick it would stop turning for a bit then go again. Sorta like a system with air in it , but that isn't the problem. I have done many repairs on all sort of things. I agree it could be something simple. But with + 4000hrs I think the pump is wore out, maybe not tho. I'll look at the pressures, if I can get my hands on a gauge kit. The one thing I don't have in the shop. Do you guys think the pump on eBay is a good pump for $550.00? Thanks, I been busy working and haven't had a chance to check this out for a while. Mudober

  5. #5lantraxco2015-11-03 23:22

    Try these guys: AT179792 QTY: 4 KS, US Updated: 11/3/2015 AMERICAN CRANE TRACTOR PARTS Phone: (800)999-8538

  6. #6Deon2015-11-04 07:20

    I would expect most pumps should last twice as many hours as yours. But your tests gauges will tell you.

  7. #7mudober2015-11-11 18:47

    Had the pressure checked. Mechanic said pump was putting out about 1/3 of what it's supposed to be. Going to have pump rebuilt. Thanks for your help fellas, Mudober

  8. #8lantraxco2015-11-11 23:04

    Did they do an actual flow test, or just check the system pressure with a gauge?