Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

580sm problem

Elio ยท 2015-11-01 08:05

When I put it in gear it shuts off and I loose all the power to the instrument cluster Whatever I do everything other then the horn is dead Very strange if I keep pushing the horn button the power comes back to cluster and machines starts and everything starts working normal again . This happened about 10 times in a years time . Yesterday it happened again but the horn button trick don't work anymore, the horn still works. Has anyone heard of something like this before? Elio

Replies4
  1. #1nowing752015-11-01 09:01

    Is it a series 3. I have had some trouble with the relay terminals melting. Do you have a schematic

  2. #2Elio2015-11-01 09:14

    No it's just a 580sm 2002

  3. #3Elio2015-11-01 10:33

    I found the problem It was the main harness going through the firewall. The center bolt was loose. Thanks

  4. #4Delmer2015-11-01 10:36

    The stock answer for anything electrical you don't understand is "check your grounds", but this could be a loose connection somewhere else. I'd go with Nowing's suggestion until you get a wiring diagram. If you can repeat this issue then a little work with a test light should find where you're losing power. Edit: too slow I guess!