Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 310SE backhoe

Rlistro2010 ยท 2013-07-21 22:26

So here is the story. A mechanic on a job I was doing noticed there was a hole/leak in my "pressure relief valve" on my John deere 310SE backhoe. I believe we purchased the backhoe some time between 1999-2000. the pressure relief valve is located in the control Valve box on the right side of the machine, opposite the fuel tank. Kind of points at the right rear tire. He said he would weld it cheep cheep to fix the leak. I believe Cheep cheep has landed me with a turtle like slow moving backhoe and now I can't find the mechanic. I believe he said he took the insides out before he welded anything, but who knows. The outriggers won't even lift the rear of the machine off the ground. Long story short, instead of spending $400 + on a new relief valve, I was told by a John Deere mechanic it sounds like my PTO/pump that sticks in the transmission needed to be rebuilt. $184 later for a rebuild kit and many ruined clothes, towels and bloody knuckles I managed to put all new seals in. When I started the machine it worked 100% I was able to finally dig and actually lift the bucket... 25 minutes later, the machine crapped out and I can't lift her off the ground again. I would hate to buy a new relief valve and it not be the problem.. I was also told it could be the horizontal filter screen in the side if the transmission, but I can't find it. If any one could inform me of where this screen is located I would appreciate it. Trying to try everything before I dish out more cash. I also replaced both hydraulic filters and changed the fluid. The fluid looked like it had air in it and was also a light color, I assumed the light color was from the fluid being hot.

Replies10
  1. #1willie592013-07-21 22:48

    Welcome to HEF Rlistro2010. :drinkup It sounds like you've been through a ringer washing machine. When you say "there was a hole...in my relief valve", are you talking about a drilled hole (typically a small hole) in the relief valve cartridge?

  2. #2Rlistro20102013-07-21 23:04

    Hey thanks I guess it had some rot on one specific place. Right before it goes into that control valve. It was almost like a pin hole leak. It didn't stream out but it did have hydraulic fluid on the out side of it.

  3. #3Rlistro20102013-07-21 23:06

    On the casing

  4. #4willie592013-07-21 23:19

    Ok, I've seen that, rust literally eating a hole in a hydraulic component. A couple of thoughts, first of all, there's no way I can say for certain what your problem is as there are just so many things that can cause your problem. However, from what you describe, you had a fully operational machine until the mechanic did the cheap cheap cheap weld repair on the relief valve. Granted, I have seen other things go bad at that exact same time, coincidence, that only makes figuring out problem all the more difficult, but it's still notable that your machine worked prior to the cheap fix. If he did, in fact, disassemble the relief valve cartridge prior to welding, that most likely would have involved removing the spring that creates the recommended relief pressure. If that valve was adjustable, did he put a gauge on the system and re-set that relief pressure? As for the screen in the tranny, are we talking about a 310SE here? To my knowledge, as for the machine hydraulic system on an SE, it uses a separate reservoir for the hydraulic system. On older Deere machines the tranny sump was the hyd reservoir, which had the screen, but I thought the SE no longer used that as it has a separate tank for the hyd system. Will fitting a new relief cartridge fix your problem? Again, I can't say for certain. But even if the problem is something else, and you do sort it out, I would still prefer fitting a new relief cartridge (that's not eaten by rust) as opposed to continue using a cheap cheap cheap repaired cartridge. I hope this helps.

  5. #5mikebramel2013-07-22 06:20

    Well if he welded it he may have damaged the spring or the O-rings which would both cause low power

  6. #6Rlistro20102013-07-22 08:36

    Thanks guys I think I'm going to buy a 3000psi gauge and fit it to the valve. I feel like I have a habit of alway buying wrong parts and components to fix this machine haha

  7. #7Rlistro20102013-08-05 18:59

    So I managed to fit a gauge to the hose going to this valve. About 1500 pounds from the hose, but then when I add the pressure relief valve and put the gauge on that, it reads 0 pounds of pressure. I think I found my problem

  8. #8Rlistro20102015-11-30 21:34

    Okay it's been a while lol Still having the problem and replaced the damaged part. Starting to believe the pump may be bad? Running out of ideas. Again I have very little hydarulic strength. Outriggers won't even lift machine

  9. #9Rlistro20102017-01-11 18:08

    To date I still have this issue. Any new ideas would be greatly appreciated

  10. #10mikebramel2017-01-12 13:08

    If the relief valve was damaged, and the pump was subject to resistance it is not rated for, it will be damaged. Flow testing the pump would be your best option