Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 310SG wont move

Anthony Poole · 2019-02-07 15:01

Have john Deere 310SG will not move fwd or rev. When lifted all 4 tires turn, you can stop by hand. All 4 speeds work, if you throttle up in neutral and push into gear either way speeds up for sec. Have checked fluid, good. All fuses and relays click. Park brake turns off. Have removed cover to fwd neu and rev solenoids. Checked for power to solenoids, fwd has power when in forward, neutral has no power in neu, reverse has power in rev, and neutral does as well. Checked power coming from shifter, the 4 wires 3 blue one white, the 3 have power each with fwd neu and rev selected. the other wires on split go to speed selector. So my question or part of it does the neutral go to another solenoid before it goes to neutral solenoid on trans? Also since neutral is never fully energized could this cause the neutral to be stuck allowing fluid to bypass? Should I maybe run jumper to neutral to solenoid? Just my thoughts. Any suggestion would be great.

Replies47
  1. #1jimg9842019-02-07 21:51

    when raising front bucket most have button on lever you pull,,, it bypass convertor to stop movement of tractor so you give more throttle to raise loaded bucket

  2. #2mg23612019-02-07 22:11

    First a serial number would be a help. The neutral solenoid is only used on the manual transmission (with a floor shifter). If it is a power shift transmission (4 speed is part of the FNR, no floor shifter) then there is no neutral solenoid. The middle solenoid would be a low range solenoid. Which transmission do you have?

  3. #3Anthony Poole2019-02-08 11:28

    The serial number is T0310SG942181 thank you for your assistance.

  4. #4Anthony Poole2019-02-08 13:05

    Where is the de-clutch valve on this reverse, just thinking maybe its stuck?

  5. #5mg23612019-02-08 16:39

    Is it a 4 speed with a floor shifter or a power shift with all the controls on the FNR?

  6. #6Anthony Poole2019-02-08 16:42

    Power shift on left side steering column

  7. #7mg23612019-02-08 18:58

    Knowing now it is a power shift and that it does not move I would check or replace the timer relay that is mounted behind your instrument panel on the right side (most likely on the inside of the fender). It will have a T21 blue wire, P24 red, J27 and 28 tan wires and a G10 black wire going to it. The T21 blue wire is the signal from the FNR and the J28 tan would supply the power to the speed pack solenoids. If those solenoids do not get power the transmission will not work.

  8. #8Anthony Poole2019-02-08 19:12

    Ok thank you very much for taking your time to reply, and helping out. Any way to test that or with symptoms just replace.

  9. #9Anthony Poole2019-02-08 19:13

    oh heck sorry its just relay will do thank you

  10. #10mg23612019-02-09 05:09

    You could back probe (leave connector connected) pin "E" (tan wire J28) on the FNR connector and see if you get 12 volts when in Forward or Reverse. No voltage, bad relay, provided that there is 12 V at the red wire at the relay and the relay has a good ground.

  11. #11Anthony Poole2019-02-11 15:33

    That was it Thank you so much!!! Timer was at bottom of fender well in water.

  12. #12mg23612019-02-11 16:47

    Glad to hear it. Thanks for posting the end result.

  13. #13Anthony Poole2019-02-11 16:56

    Thank you very much,,, thats a pricy little dude, ha

  14. #14mg23612019-02-12 04:28

    Is there such a thing as a reasonably priced part anymore? ....LOL! At least it is cheaper than transmission work.

  15. #15hosspuller2019-02-12 10:38

    In water ?? You been taking it for a swim ? Or did the mount come loose and fall down ?

  16. #16whatsittoyou2019-02-15 19:48

    I am having an issue with a JD 310SG the driveshaft broke and ripped wires that go to the transmission. We have the harness to fix it but the wiring diagram does not match what we have on the unit. I have 3 blue wires and 1 black and I am unsure what blue wire will need to go where... Any help? Otherwise I will be waiting until Monday to go to John Deere and hope that someone there can help. We are unable to move the unit but when we lift it the wheels spin in 4 wheel and 2 wheel drive and the parking brake drum off as we initially thought that was the issue. I do not have a serial number with me right now and the unit is a power shift/ Also could there be a blown fuse? If so where would we check? My unit has been sitting since the end of Jan so we need to get her back up and running soon.

  17. #17mg23612019-02-16 04:35

    Hate them darn drive shaft breaks. They do tear some stuff up . Several things. First welcome to the forum whatsit ! Second, I will need a serial number. There is a S/N split on 310's as to which wiring diagram to use. Third, try not to ride on someone else's thread in the future, just create your own. That way when someone wants to search the forum for a particular problem it makes the search easier. Again, welcome and I'll try to help you out. Also, is it a powershift (4 speed in the FNR) or a 4 speed with a shifter on the floor.

  18. #18whatsittoyou2019-02-16 13:00

    I am new at this so now I know to start a new thread. Its a powershift in the FNR Serial number: T0310SG938733

  19. #19mg23612019-02-16 15:59

    Attached is a transmission schematic and a transmission wiring diagram. The wiring diagram shows the transmission plugs X24 (top of the trans, Forward, Reverse and Low range) and X25 (bottom of the trans, speed solenoids) and where the blue and black wires are supposed to go. The X21 and X22 connectors in the diagram are where the transmission wires connect to the cab harness. Hope this helps.

  20. #20whatsittoyou2019-02-16 19:57

    Thank you! I believe this will have us up and running tomorrow morning. I will update.

  21. #21whatsittoyou2019-02-17 14:16

    So the schematics worked but we are still having issues. Everything is wired right and the unit still will not move when on the ground. Read all the above mentioned in this thread and checked the timer relay and im showing 11 amps coming in. Had the relay itself checked with a ohm meter and its showing open. Should that be open or closed? Any other advice what to check or where the problem may be coming from?

  22. #22mg23612019-02-17 18:13

    Did you check your F12 FNR fuse? Also look at post 11 and tell me what you have at pin "E".

  23. #23Anthony Poole2019-03-05 16:38

    Ok mg2361, I change the relay, which I know was inop from testing, and finding in the bottom of fender submerged in rain water. I replaced and same issue. But now I have power out of relay, so what should I test now. Thanks in advance

  24. #24Anthony Poole2019-03-05 18:52

    Got it,, when I had unplugged range selector harness from transmission pins had pushed out when plugging back in. Thank you

  25. #25Joeyinstx2021-04-10 20:46

    Had a similar transmission problem with a 310J power shift. Turned out to be a faulty K2 - Ignition relay, was not energizing part of the fuse buss, specifically the F36 transmission control fuse. Replaced the K2 relay and everything worked perfectly.

  26. #26sput2022-08-14 11:50

    wont let me open schematic

  27. #27Tinkerer2022-08-14 14:42

    Welcome to HEF, Sput ! Those schematics are .pdf files. You need to download them and then open them with a .pdf viewer. I already did and saved them as photo files. Click on the images to enlarge them. If you wanna print them -- right click on them and save the images to where you can access them for your printer if you have one. If you are viewing them with a computer, you can take a smartphone picture of the screen display. If you are viewing this thread with a smartphone, take a screenshot of the enlarged images.

  28. #2855 Chevy2023-01-22 17:42

    mg2361, have similar problem with 310SG. T0310SG937698 power shift trans. No problem with reverse but hesitates going into forward or no forward. Connector is connected, probed tan wire J28 on the FNR connector and I get 12 volts every time in reverse and it goes into reverse, when I shift to forward sometimes 12 volts. I can leave shift in forward and after waiting (no set time) my meter will show 12 volts and it will be in gear. I can hear the timer relay clicking several times when in forward and my meter is trying to show voltage. Can I unplug the relay and jump a couple of leads to see if it will stay in forward? Thanks Rick

  29. #29TVA2023-01-22 17:57

    That could be timer relay or a diode. But on the other hand if you can hear relay click several times - you might have intermittent connection problems.

  30. #30mg23612023-01-23 05:23

    Check your T11 blue wire out of the FNR (T21 blue as it enters the timer relay at pin 3). Is the voltage from that wire consistent or intermittent?

  31. #3155 Chevy2023-01-24 14:01

    Thanks for the help, T11 out of the FNR is intermittent, voltage will vary from approximately .35 to.11 or so. When it decides to go in to forward gear the voltage is 13.5 volts. T21 at timer relay pin 3 does similar, when it goes in forward the voltage goes to 13.5 volts. Rick

  32. #32mg23612023-01-24 21:27

    Sounds like you need a new FNR.

  33. #3355 Chevy2023-01-25 07:19

    can I connect 12 volt to T11 out of the FNR to see if forward goes into gear? Rick

  34. #34mg23612023-01-26 04:54

    Yep.

  35. #35Jameselec2023-05-05 19:28

    I’m it sure if I’m doing this right but I have the same problem as the first post. My tractor JD 310SG worked fine yesterday and today it will not go. The weeks turn when lifted in both forward and rev. Iv looked at timer relay and has voltage to blue wire when in gear but not in neut. bothe tan wires have voltage all the time not sure what else to try??

  36. #36mg23612023-05-06 09:08

    Welcome to HEF Jameselec ! Please start your own thread with the complete machine serial number. SG's have multiple schematics, so to access the correct information, I need the complete machine serial number. A little better description of your issue and what you have done so far for testing would also help.

  37. #37Jameselec2023-05-06 10:53
  38. #38Jameselec2023-05-06 11:02

    I read about the timer relay under the panel on the left side and found it and I tested for power to the blue wire and the two tan wires. The blue wire gets 12 volts when it is in gear and both tan wires have power to them when ignition switch is on. That’s is all iv been able to do except at first I checked trans oil level and was below the low level line so I added a little fluid but no change. When it’s on the ground it try’s to move in fwd. and same in rev. Bit won’t move but an little bit. Looked under and don’t see any broken wires or any other thing out of place plus there are no leaks so I’m stumped unless trans just went out sitting there over night?

  39. #39Jameselec2023-05-06 11:06
  40. #40mg23612023-05-06 12:01

    I'll answer on your thread.

  41. #41Tinkerer2023-05-06 20:26

    I converted them for easier viewing. Click on them for a much larger view. After you do that, they can be enlarged even further with the options in the upper RH corner of the pane. On a pc they can be saved and then printed also.

  42. #42young34eva2024-07-08 20:24

    Tnx for schematics. At464505 has 4 wires. Yellow, black, red and white. What color goes to what?

  43. #43Jbnolen2024-10-01 12:46

    I know this may be a long shot. When I googled my problem, this forum came up about the x25 trans plug. Would you happen to still have the schematics for this. I have three blue and one black wire. Not sure about the blue to blue

  44. #44Diesel Dave2024-10-01 14:14

    Welcome to HEF Jbnolen . On post #20, the transmission electrical schematic and the transmission wiring diagram that mg2361 provided are still there.

  45. #45Jbnolen2024-10-02 22:00

    Please forgive my ignorance as this is the first forum I’ve ever been on. How do I find them. Thank you

  46. #46Jbnolen2024-10-02 22:08

    I have a 410g jd 4wd power shift. I had a stick literally cut the four wires off flush on part x25. Three blues and 1 black wire. Just trying to figure out which blue goes where. Thank yall

  47. #47Diesel Dave2024-10-02 22:42

    In my first response to you I referred to post #20 .Each individual post in a thread is numbered in the top right corner. . Screenshot of mg2361 transmission electrical schematic below. .