Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 310SJ Slow or No Park Brake release at idle

mg2361 · 2019-02-21 06:01

Symptom was park brake slow to release or does not release at engine idle (Trans oil level good, always the first thing to check with this complaint). Found the transmission filter had come apart internally and pieces got stuck in the transmission pressure relief valve creating low pressure at idle (130 psi) but good pressure at 2000 rpm (300 psi). From the debris in the filter picture I discovered this was not the first filter to have failed on this machine. The big pieces came out of the pressure test port. If you own or work on any JD 310SJ's, SK'S or SL's, make sure you use the updated transmission oil filter AT466863 (white in color) and not the original filter AT179323 (black in color) or your machine could end up like the pictures.

Replies18
  1. #1Vetech632019-02-21 06:47

    Nice work MG. Are the black filters of poor design or manufacturing? …….and would this be a concern with these black filters on other makes that have the ZF transmissions?

  2. #2mg23612019-02-21 16:24

    No. That filter was used on the G's through the early L's. It was fine on the G's because that transmission runs at a lower pressure (230 psi) than the J's, K's and L's (305 psi). They discovered along the way that the black filter was not holding up to the higher pressure so then they came out with the heavy duty filter (white one). If you walk into a JD parts dept and ask them to look up a filter for you they should be handing you the white filter since the black one subs to it. However if someone uses their operator's manual and makes a parts list and walks in and asks for the filters on his list he might get the black one because some dealers may have not exhausted their stock and of course want to get rid of them. They will still work fine on the G/SG. I guess it could be of concern on other makes with ZF transmissions if they run at the higher pressure (or have the same model trans as the Deere).

  3. #3Canadian_digger2019-02-25 12:06

    I think this might have happen to my 310SL! The other morning it did not want to move. It was cold out and they are sluggish when cold. But this time more than normal. If I pull the filter will it be obvious if it came apart?

  4. #4mg23612019-02-25 12:14

    If you drain the filter and look inside to the bottom you might see the bypass to see if it came apart. If it did not then you will have to cut the filter open to look at the part of the filter which is directly under the filter threads. Either end of that black filter can come apart.

  5. #5JL Sargent2019-02-25 13:10

    Wow, at the clutch packs! Twice as many as my 310E. MG, As you know I will eventually have to spit my transmission. Can the front half of the trans and the bell housing be pulled together? I'm scared to ream a new bushing. Can I can just keep those together and not need to do that?

  6. #6mg23612019-02-26 04:49

    Yes, the converter housing (less converter) can stay on the transmission half and they can be lifted off the transmission back half as an assembly (just like the attached picture).

  7. #7mg23612019-02-28 04:53

    Works like a champ now that there is no debris stuck in the relief valve and now have 267 psi at the park brake at idle and 298 at 2000 rpm.

  8. #8geminijo2019-02-28 10:50

    Time to replace the battery in your tester.

  9. #9mg23612019-03-01 04:44

    Good eye! Glad it is rechargeable. That battery is expensive.

  10. #10Canadian_digger2019-03-01 14:57

    Changed 3 filters today. Two on 310SJ and one on a 310SL. The one on the SL was broken as you can see in the picture. The bypass was still intact. I believe all the broken pieces where still in the filter. Should I be concerned? Should I just run it? Change the oil and run it. Or something else? 735hrs since I last changed the trans oil.

  11. #11mg23612019-03-01 18:42

    Looks like all your pieces are there. Does your park brake light go out within 5 seconds when you turn your park brake off? Do you have park brake codes? If the light goes out within 5 seconds and you have no PB codes then you are probably OK. To be sure you need to check the park brake pressure at idle. The best way to do that is to plug a gauge into the port where the park brake pressure switch is located on top of the park brake housing on the front top of the rear axle.

  12. #12Canadian_digger2019-03-01 19:18

    No codes. Will test to see how long it takes for the light to go off. Thanks for sharing. It’s stuff like this that makes this site as great as it is.

  13. #13Ricardo Cotte2024-04-12 10:27

    Hello mg. Per your account I could then discard a Fleetguard HF6316 I have at hand out of abundance of caution?

  14. #14mg23612024-04-12 12:04

    Don't know. It depends on the specifications of that filter. Then I would compare it to the Deere filter. The white Deere filter is a ZF labeled filter. I don't have the ZF's specs for comparison handy.

  15. #15Ricardo Cotte2024-04-12 12:12

    I did send a request to Fleetguard Tech Support to find out about the max operating pressure specs. Will see and comment later. Yes, I installed one last time I dealt with this issue and it is white and has the ZF logo. Fleetguard only lists the BPV opening value. Thanks always for your kind help.

  16. #16Ricardo Cotte2024-04-12 15:14

    I received the attached specs from Fleetguard a while ago. Still asked them if this filter would compare to the AT466863 in terms of operating pressure. See the second attachment.

  17. #17cbritt9272026-03-06 00:15

    @mg2361 - similiar symptoms for my 310... and I beleive actually heard something rattling around right before it quit....... if this filter happened to my 310SJ, (pulling the filter tomorrow morning!!) does the trans need to come out to get to the releif valve? I know you say "like in the pictures" above but I didn't know if you pulled the trans before you knew the filter exploded. Hope this makes sense... Thanks

  18. #18mg23612026-03-06 04:49

    I'll answer on your other post.