Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 426 Backhoe starter

ycanby ยท 2019-02-21 15:23

Hello, Have a question about a starter on A Cat 426 backhoe. The solenoid has not been working for awhile, been starting it by jumping between the two big posts on the starter. Anyway, I recently pulled it off and had the solenoid rebuilt. Upon putting it back on , it would do the same thing. It would click but not turnover. I can still jump across the two big terminals and get it started. Put a test light on the solenoid wire and it lights when the key is turned. Took the starter back off and hooked jumpers to it, from the same batteries, and it tried to engage everytime. Tested this by hooking the jumpers to the always hot terminal, and jumping to the solenoid with a screw driver. It worked fine off the machine, but not on it. Not sure what is going on here. Also I was wondering if anyone had any idea how to get the third nut on the starter flange when bolting it to the engine. I see no way at all to get that nut on behind everything, and have always just mounted it using the two. Thanks for your time.

Replies5
  1. #1kshansen2019-02-21 19:16

    That last statement has me a bit confused???? "It tried to engage???" Not trying to be a jerk here but............................ A serial number might help with suggestions. I think that should be one of the first things in any message asking for advice. I did try to look on SIS to see what the starter looked like but as there are 15 different serial number prefixes. Also possibly a few different serial number breaks where Cat made changes. For me to try to make a wild guess it not worthwhile. It would make as much sense as saying I have a Chevy pickup what's wrong with it?

  2. #2heymccall2019-02-21 19:58

    If I is reading right, screwdriver jump to trigger works off engine, but not when mounted?

  3. #3heymccall2019-02-21 20:11

    Alright, machine should have starter relay. P/n 0302266. #8 in drawing.

  4. #4heymccall2019-02-21 20:56
  5. #5kshansen2019-02-22 10:42

    Not saying information heynccall is not right but I would still like to know for sure we are talking about the right "426". Here are the s/n prefixes I see when I look in SIS: I just hesitate to make suggestions by guessing they are all the same. I worked on many 988 Cats over the years and it would fill a library making notes of the various changes Cat made in just that model number! Even if you restrict yourself just talking say a 988B with the prefix 50W the variations in the wiring alone could get one in major trouble!