I have a 2018 310SLbackhoe. It takes q good 15-20 minutes of running to get heat in the cab and defrost the windows. And then the heat comming out is not hot. Its luke warm at best when on defrost. If you just flip the switch to the heater it puts out more heat but immediately fogs the windows . And it doesnt blow on the front window at all due to it switching from defrost to just heat. I originally thought I had a sticky thermostat. And it was reading a bit under temp so I chanted it out. But hasn't made any change. What should I be looking at next.
A diesel can take a long time to warm up especially at idle. They need to be worked. Seems like your machine should still be under warranty? I'd start with that but lots of people put fans in cabs to circulate the heat. Does your machine have AC? Wondering if maybe there is an AC coil or something in the defrost side? A hotter thermostat is another option but Vancouver doesn't get very cold compared to other locations.
No its deffinetly abnormally slow. Night and day difference to a few months ago. And the same year and model machine side by side, its blowing way colder
What about warranty?
Hit or miss now depending on what it ends up being. They swapped the theonostst under warrenty. But I'm trying to figure out what the issue could be before I call in the JD mechanica as if they fix somtbing that wasnt under warrenty or they come out and find something not covered I'm paying st least their travel at 150/hr + any repairs they dk
Just a suggestion on my part. I would be looking for a restriction in the coolant flow through the entire heater circuit. A shut off valve partially closed. A pinched or collapsed hose. Heater core problem. Air lock somewhere. How hot is the hose where it leaves the engine. The temperature there is crucial to efficient heater operation. The temperature switch #22 and what it is connected to may need to be checked.
What’s engine temp running at?
Sl have a heat exchanger for the hydraulic oil so the engine coolant also cools the hydraulics to get heat in either of my machines it takes a good 10 to 15 minutes of work to get the air hot not just Luke warm I would do what's suggested above
If you can get to the hoses that feed the heater core then you can do a simple check. Get the machine up to operating temp. With the RPMs up to working speed feel the inlet and outlet hoses. They should both be hot to the touch. If bare metal pipe you will burn your hand. If both inlet and outlet feel the same your heater core is flowing. If only one hose is hot and the other is warm or even cold you have no flow or an air pocket in the core. The other thing you may have is a misadjusted blend door. Make sure the blend door is adjusted to close completely. If it is not closing all the way you may be mixing cold and hot air. They also have rubber seals around the doors to seal them off. Sometimes this stuff comes loose, disintegrates or critters like to chew on it. You need to know if you are running at operating temp. Do not assume new thermostat means you are. Measure the temp.
Definitely need a serial number. Also check that your heater shut off valve closes. It's a real pain to get to. All the plastic on the right side below and behind the instruments has to come out. If it is under warranty have the dealer come back out.
That's what I'm thinking. Unless you did something to cause it, should be a warranty issue regardless if it's a simple fix or complicated. They know you had the problem and the thermostat didn't fix it. They need to investigate further and fix it, not you.
Check the hoses like edgephoto said, if they're both HOT, then you have an air issue, not a coolant issue. Can you check the evaporator for plugging? is there a cabin air filter to check? blend door functioning, even fan plugged or running slow. That's all assuming the hoses are both hot.
Is the 15-20 min of run time at idle or higher rpms? My backhoes Don’t seem to put out any heat unless I idle it up to 1250rpm or higher and no real heat until you put a load on the engine. what’s the outside temps?