Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 318D Hydraulic Drain Plug Cover

PepeSilvia12 ยท 2020-10-04 13:30

I'm trying to change the hydraulic fluid on my 318D and didn't get very far. I can't figure out how to remove the drain plug cap. It's pretty tight under there and I'm a big enough guy that it's tricky for me to maneuver around - so I'd like to know how it's done before I spend a lot of time crawling around. The instructions from the manual are "remove drain plug cover" which is not detailed enough for a dummy like me. I've tried getting a screw driver under it to try to pry it, but it's in there pretty tight. Tried grabbing it with a pair of vice grips and really didn't have enough room to get a good bite. Is there a secret to getting that thing off?

Replies1
  1. #1mg23612020-10-05 05:44

    It's like a wheel bearing cap. They are a bit too tight in my opinion. Just have to pop it out with a screwdriver or a chisel.