Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat 226 snow bucket size

Cory76 · 2020-10-03 00:16

Hi Guys, just wondering what size of snow bucket a 226b could handle? There is an 84” locally for sale but want to make sure it can handle it before I buy it. Thanks

Replies7
  1. #1ThreeCW2020-10-03 01:16

    I use a 96" snow bucket on my CAT 242B. My bucket is a Virnig Medium Duty Snow Bucket what weighs 810 lbs. My 242B has a rated lift capacity of 2000 lbs and it handles the 96" bucket without any problems for regular snow. Heavy wet snow is a different beast, you just end up taking a smaller bite. I also used the same 96" snow bucket on our New Holland LS160 which has a 1600 lb load rating. The LS160 also handled it well but I notice I can get more snow moved with our 2000 lb CAT 242B than I could with our LS160. The Virnig Medium Duty 84" Snow Bucket weighs 745 lbs by comparison and is better suited to your CAT 226B which has a 1500 lb lift capacity. Some snow buckets can weight a lot more than the medium duty ones that I am comparing to. Try to get the make and model of the offered bucket so you can ensure that it will be a good weight range for your CAT 226B. You don't want to end up getting a 1000 lb bucket as it would leave little capacity for the snow load.

  2. #2Cory762020-10-03 11:32
  3. #3Cory762020-10-03 11:36

    Thanks for the reply! Looks like the weight of this one is 775lbs so should be ok for most snow I would think?

  4. #4ThreeCW2020-10-03 12:20

    That 84" bucket should meet your requirements. You might want to sand blast it and get it painted up ... a good paint job will prevent the snow from sticking inside the bucket and make your snow moving easier.

  5. #5Cory762020-10-03 19:22

    Yes, good a sandblast will be needed. Thanks for the help

  6. #6ThreeCW2020-10-04 01:08

    The "see through window for visibility" as shown in Cory76's photo is a helpful feature for anyone else considering a snow bucket.

  7. #7ThreeCW2021-01-08 23:48

    Cory 76, Did you get a snow bucket for your 226B? If so, how is it working for you?