Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 323e or Takeuchi TL8 or TL10

CCW13 ยท 2016-05-10 17:03

I've pretty much narrowed my choice down to one of these machines. The TL8 is the cheapest and the TL10 is a little more than the JD323e. I prefer the Tak but the dealer is about a 40 minute drive from me and the Deere dealer is just a couple miles away. What is your opinions on the John Deere vs the Tak as far as quality, performance (i know the TL10 is a little bigger machine but the TL8 should be comparable) etc etc. The Deere is a vertical lift where both the Taks are radial. For my uses though I don't think it really matters. This will just mainly be used on the farm for feeding cattle, clearing brush and any other odd jobs I can find for it. And just in case anyone is wondering I have looked at the other brands and I'll quickly list why I'm not considering them: Kubota - Priced the 75 and it was more than the TL8 and the Deere both and only a little less than the TL10. They don't have one in stock and it may be a month before they get another. Also I didn't know Kubotas don't have radios and are not wired for them. Bobcat- They seemed to not really be interested in my business since I was only a private individual and not buying a few for a company. They priced me a 630 and it was the most expensive machine I have been quoted. Case - Took me 2 days to be able to speak to the only guy that handles sales and then he never got back to me with a price. I called once again to see why and he was out again and not available and never received a call back. If it's that hard to get a price I definitely don't want to deal with that dealer and there are no others close. These were the only brands with dealers near me.

Replies60
  1. #1Rentalstop2016-05-10 19:54

    My vote is for Deere. 319 is a base model 323 if you want to save a couple bucks. Deere has a much larger market share and better dealer network. Parts and service are huge with these machines. Vertical lift may be better for resale. JMHO

  2. #2CCW132016-05-10 21:27

    Thank you for the response. I read somewhere that John Deere exaggerates their claims a little on their machines. Any truth to this?

  3. #3movindirt2016-05-10 22:37

    If you want a durable machine that will get the usual farmer abuse, then the Takeuchi is the one you want, Takeuchi's are about the toughest machines you'll ever run. As far as dealers, that something you'll have to find out for yourself, my local Cat dealer is amazing to dealer with, and it blows John Deere out of the water, drive a couple hundred miles north of me and you'll find plenty people complaining about Ziegler Cat. Point is see how you like dealing with the people at Deere and Takeuchi before you buy.

  4. #4chevy942016-05-11 09:48

    CCW13, I have never been a big fan of the Deere CTL's they seem to be underpowered and the one I ran was very loose/sloppy. (Granted it was a "D" series with 400hrs) The Tak machines are animals pushing dirt, the only downsides to me were radial lift and the cabs are very outdated. Kubota's are very nice machines, whoever told you the Kubota's were not wired for radios was incorrect. Looked at a brand new SVL75-2 at a farm show and the salesman showed me the speakers in the cab and the punch-out where the Jensen radio wires right in. The track frames are also very nice and easy to clean out. Ever since Bobcat switched to Doosan engines, I have been hearing a lot of people are leery of them but I do not have personal experience in the newer machines. Can not say very much about the Case products. Cat makes good equipment, parts availability is usually very good (can next day most items), I am not a big fan of the swing-out door and their EH controls however. See if you can demo a couple before you ultimately choose, dealer support is paramount but so is your comfort in each machine.

  5. #5CCW132016-05-11 11:47

    Chevy thanks for the reply. As far as the Kubota, the salesman didn't know much about the track loaders at all. He basically didn't know any questions we asked. They only had the SVL95 so I didn't hang around long but I did sit in the cab to see how roomy it was. I noticed no radio and that's what I was told. I didn't notice speakers but I didn't look around inside a lot. But somewhere around 56-58k for the Kubota without a radio kind of killed my enthusiasm. I did like the spaciousness of the cab though. I think I'm leaning towards the TL8 or TL10. I'll probably spend the extra and get the 10.

  6. #6JNB2016-05-11 17:03

    Yeah, you talked to a Kubota salesman with no clue. The SVL95's and 2016 SVL75's are radio ready. I don't believe the 2015's were. The price he gave you for a 75 is also bit high. I don't think you'd be disappointed with a Tak. I wanted a SVL90-2 or TL10 and would've been happy with either. I chose the 90 because of the relationship I have with the dealer.

  7. #7CCW132016-05-11 19:21

    I called another Kubota dealer a little further away and they have a couple in stock (SVL75-2). He's supposed to get me a price tomorrow morning. I do have one question to those of you with the Kubota.....did I read the specs correctly and it is only 15 gallon a minute? I want to make sure I can run a brush cutter with whatever I get. But that would be the lowest rating of any of the machines I looked at.

  8. #8JNB2016-05-11 21:04

    The SVL75 standard flow is 18.8 gpm. I've run several cutters on the 75 and as long as they're tailored to the flow it works fine.

  9. #9HRPServicesTX2016-05-11 23:27

    I'll 2nd on getting either the Kubota or a tak. My 90 has been amazing with every task I throw at it.

  10. #10CCW132016-05-12 16:29

    Let me ask a question. Does John Deere inflate their specs or can you believe them. Their smaller track loader has better specs than a lot of the bigger track loaders.

  11. #11JNB2016-05-12 18:07

    I don't know how Deere specs them, but they are know for their lifting power. If you're comparing a radial lift machine to a vertical, pound for pound (and horsepower) the vertical will typically have more lifting power and a higher tipping weight.

  12. #12CCW132016-05-12 19:21

    True the JD is a vertical and the TL10 Tak is a radial but the TL10 seems like so much more machine. The specs just don't seem to show it. I'm new to this so I'm learning as I go on buying one.

  13. #13JNB2016-05-12 19:37

    Here's a site that lets you compare machines side by side using the drop menu. Sorry, it's a Case site and it works about as well as my machine did http://www.casece.com/en_us/Comparison/Pages/CompareSpecifications_Results.aspx?eqId=2&mn1=TR%20320&mn2=279%20C%20Series%202&mn3=TL%20240

  14. #14CCW132016-05-12 19:46

    Thank you that is handy. Looking at that again makes the John Deere 323E look like a more capable machine than the Takeuchi TL10. The TL10 is a 90hp machine and the Deere is a 70hp. I need someone with real world experience to help me out here. I need a CTL for the farm for brush cutting, feeding cows and moving some dirt. Which machine should be more all around capable and be able to handle a larger brush cutter?

  15. #15JNB2016-05-12 19:59

    If it were me and the choice was between the Tak or Deere, I'd choose the Tak hands down. In my not so humble opinion it's a tougher machine. The Deere shares the same frame as their skid steers, the track system is bolted on. Taks are fully welded and purpose built as a CTL and have been from day 1. The only thing that would steer me towards the Deere is the height. The Tak is a lot taller which may be an issue in a farm scenario.

  16. #16CCW132016-05-12 20:07

    Thank you again for responding. I appreciate it. I can't think of a scenario where the height would be an issue. It would go in any of the barns I have. I can pick a new TL10 with cab for 58k. I'm leaning that route. The only thing that stinks is that dealer is about 25-30 miles away while the Deere dealer is just a couple miles.

  17. #17Mark132016-05-12 20:16

    I would lean toward the TL10 as well. I've run numerous deere skid steers (D series being the newest) and they've never impressed me a lot and I generally can't wait to get out of them. I have a Tak TL230 (older but similar to the TL8) and it's an animal for it's size. I think the Tak's are under rated as well, what the book says they'll do and what they'll actually do is quite a bit different. The fellow I bought my TL230 from replaced it with a TL12 and it's a monster. It's pretty hard on buckets though, he had a 96" grapple built and it lasted less then a day before the machine tore the bottom of the bucket out. I have a 72" version of the same bucket and they're not built light. Edit. Couple pics I found of my machine picking things up that it shouldn't going by the book. Chevy Venture van. Google says 3,840lbs. It was missing all the wheels and tires and fluids so say 3,500lbs. I tried picking up a Chevy C20 4x4 with it one day, I think the machine would have lifted it enough to scoot it around if I had longer forks. I couldn't get under it far enough from the side with 48" forks to keep the truck from tipping away from the machine and the far side tires digging into the ground. 3,000lb pallet of salt. It would lift it over the bed side if I really wanted to. It was still very stable even with the pallet 4' off the ground or more.

  18. #18CCW132016-05-12 20:35

    Very cool. Thanks so much

  19. #19HRPServicesTX2016-05-13 08:49

    The only reason I didn't go with tak is my nearest dealer is around 90 miles away. I would've definitely bought it if only an hour away. So I felt the Kubota was next best since its also a CTL purpose built machine, not skid steer frame with tracks bolted on. I'm sure you'd be very pleased and impressed with that tak.

  20. #20CCW132016-05-13 14:16

    Well I've further confused myself by pricing a SVL95-2 with high flow. If I can talk myself into spending the extra I may go that way. It's a nice machine and local.

  21. #21JGibson2016-05-13 15:56

    If I were you I would go with the Kubota. I love the Deere skid steers, but the Kubota is a better machine. Taks are great for dirt work, but I would never buy one for a farm. Vertical Lift IMO is a must have on a farm.

  22. #22pafarmer2016-05-14 06:24

    Deere vs TAK.....the 323 is not in the same league as a TL10......TAK TL10 would be my pick hands down. The tak's are very utilitarian in cab design, the ride is brutal when compared to some however the overall tractor is a powerhouse and a true work horse. If pushing dirt around is your primary goal, these machine can do that very well.

  23. #23CCW132016-05-14 18:10

    I'm considering the SVL95-2. I'm just wondering about hauling it. I think it would be fine behind a 3/4 ton on a 14k trailer. It would only be towed a few times a year. Maybe less than 5 or 6. According to the man at the DOT I would be under the legal limit without needing a cdl.

  24. #24pafarmer2016-05-14 18:37

    The SVL95-2 is a great machine, I am certain your would not be in the least bit disappoint in a brand New shiny Kubota 95-2. Most guys I know would kill for the opportunity to own that machine. I don't see where you would have an issue with hauling the machine in your State. It sounds like you did the research with your states DOT and all is fine in that regard. Not sure what else is left but to write the check or sign the papers. Get the full cab unit, get the high flow, Get a good HD 4 in 1 tooth bucket and whatever else in terms of attachments you may need. Then buy yourself A case of "Kubota" recommended grease, hydro oil, and coolant. Make sure it is what the machines manual recommends, very important if you have a malfunction during the war entry period. Then get yourself a nice electric grease gun and a 200 gallon transfer tank for your pickup. Go have some fun and move some dirt around...

  25. #25JNB2016-05-14 18:51

    I tow with a 1 ton dually and a 14k deckover GN. I have to put quite a bit of weight on the truck to be legal on the trailer's axles with the SVL90. The 95 is heavier. I know you won't be towing every day, but you'll still have to watch the weight on the axles on your setup since you can't run as much tongue /hitch weight.

  26. #26CCW132016-05-14 20:49

    Kubota lists the operating weight with a 165lb operator at 11574.

  27. #27PlumberRob2016-05-18 00:31

    You will need a heavier trailer. A 14k BP deckover Trailer will probably weigh close to 5k, lets say even on the light side at 3500lbs, 3500+11,000+ is over the trailer gvwr(ticket/fine). Some trailers have a 16,100 lbs rating which would be better but if your truck gvwr is 10,000, your combination will be over 26k and need a CDL. Its a slippery slope, so a smaller machine and lighter trailer might be better for you. On your original post, I'm a Tak guy, but my second choice would be Kubota(I have a KX-040 mini-ex), Both great machines. Good Luck.

  28. #28CCW132016-05-18 07:46

    See this is where it gets aggravating. We called DOT and the guy on the phone said that you take the truck 10k and the trailer 14k and you get 24k gvwr and you are under the CDL regulation. I'm starting to think that some of their people aren't even clear on the laws. The trailer isn't a deckover though and I don't believe it weighs much more than 3k. I'll have to check specs but it is a Gatormade 14k 18+2. I'm thinking I just need to get farm plates and then I'm good to tow between the two farms which are 40 miles apart. At least in my interpretation of the law lol. Ugh this is frustrating. I'll only be moving this thing maybe 2-3 times a year.

  29. #29JNB2016-05-18 08:42

    The combo will be considered 24k which is under CDL. What you need to know is what the truck and trailer actually weigh. Let's say the truck weighs 8k and the trailer 5k, add the machine in at 11k and you're at your 24k limit. Now, can you position the machine so that the trailer's axles aren't overloaded without putting too much weight on the truck? That's where it gets tricky.

  30. #30PlumberRob2016-05-18 09:18

    What he said^,, you have to watch your trailer axle weights and also (which dot will check) your trucks rear axle weight so your not over on that with too much tongue weight. Definitely email Gatormade and get the weight of that trailer, they are good guys there, I'm running one of their trailers and love it. Also, account for your chains, binders, etc, that stuff adds up in payload on your trailer real quick.

  31. #31CCW132016-05-18 09:23

    Thank you all for your input. I appreciate it. If I get the SVL75 I should have to worry much unless hauling a few attachments with it. If I get the SVL95 (which I want) I'm going to have to be awfully careful. It gets confusing when figuring all this stuff. Anyone clear on the farm tag laws?

  32. #32CCW132016-05-18 09:26

    One quick question....So if the limit is 26k (for not needing a CDL) but your truck is rated at 10k and the trailer at 14k, you can still end up with a ticket if you are at 26k because it exceeds the truck and trailer limit. Am I thinking correctly?

  33. #33JNB2016-05-18 10:20

    Yes,you got it. The truck and trailer combo would be exceeded. Like PR mentioned, you could use a heavier rated trailer. If that were 16,100 lbs, it could be derated at registration to 16k and be under the CDL limit of 26,001 lbs. As far as using the SVL75, if the machine had two inches more foot room, I might've bought one. Easier to haul, smaller to fit tight places and plenty of power. Weight and size wise, the TL10 is in the middle of the two Kubota machines and would have been ideal, but for me it came down to the dealer so I went bigger.

  34. #34PlumberRob2016-05-18 11:52

    In all honesty, I would try to stay under CDL territory, even if you plan on getting a Class A. If you don't need a CDL, don't get one, you will then have to get a US DOT number, medical card updated every 2 years, audits from the state to check your CDL testing(if it is a company) etc etc,, a real Pain in the a**. Try and buy the biggest machine and trailer that keeps you under 26k and your life will be much simpler. As for the Farm tags, here in PA if you have farm tags you will not be required to have a CDL when hauling over 26k but I think(not positive) you can only travel with that rig so many times a year(which there is no way for them to know). So this might be something to look into, have your truck and trailer registered in your Farms name and have a temporary magnetic Farm name logo for your doors of the truck when hauling. Really do some research on these items, just to make your life as simple as possible.

  35. #35CCW132016-05-18 12:31

    CDL is out of the question. I'm thinking about going the farm tag way.

  36. #36HRPServicesTX2016-05-18 12:47

    I ran into these issues years back. Got pulled over by DOT 3 times in 2 weeks, each one of them gave me a different story. So now I make them show me and give me proof where the general public is aware and can easily find the laws they try to enforce on me. Last few times they couldn't get me anything. It's so burried in the laws it's almost impossible to understand it and get a straight answer. They made me get a cdl because the weight, did not need Dot numbers because I wasn't hauling for hire and I own what I haul. I still have it but now I'm farm tagged, everything I do is Ag related. When they ask questions be very vague, tell them you bought a property you're just working on etc. They'll pick on you hard if you get pulled over, the biggest thing is to be nice but don't give them a lot of info. Farm tags here require no cdl up to 48k# you can go the farm tag route, just have to be careful the info you give them.

  37. #37JNB2016-05-18 13:44

    HRP, it's a sticky wicket isn't it? I've thought about going back to farm tags myself. I had them when I hauled a tractor everyday. I worry about it with the CTL, especially with advertising on the truck. On another note...all this rain is driving me absolutely crazy!

  38. #38CCW132016-05-18 13:54

    Ok I called my local courthouse about how to get farm tags on a truck and trailer. They don't offer farm tags for trailers but they do for trucks. I asked what I needed to get farm tags and she said nothing just bring your old tag in. I asked what proof was needed that I own a farm and she said none....they don't check. So I guess anyone can get a farm tag. One more question, she said they asked you if you want it rated at 26k or 38k. You have to sign a paper. Which would I choose? I'm sure you can tell I'm new to this.

  39. #39JNB2016-05-18 14:09

    Not sure what they mean by the two weights. It doesn't work like that here. It might have to do with the cost of the tag? You better call back and check that out.

  40. #40PlumberRob2016-05-18 14:16

    Go with the heavier weight, it won't hurt and if you ever get a newer truck with a higher GVWR you will still be ok.

  41. #41PlumberRob2016-05-18 14:20

    That was a quick reply, on the road... What I mean by that is if you get a bigger truck or trailer you will still stay under 38,000. My 20,000 gvwr GN trailer and my SRW Ram 3500(12,300gvwr), put me at 32,300 combination weight. Even the newer dualies at 14,000+- gvwr and a trailer similar to mine, you will be under that combination of 38,000.

  42. #42CCW132016-05-18 14:32

    I called back and asked the difference. She said that if you go with the 38k plate then you have more regulations and rules to follow. I do not know what those are and she wasn't totally sure but could find me a number if I wanted. If you go with the 26k plates (she said most all do) then you basically have no regulations or anything.

  43. #43CCW132016-05-18 14:39

    I think I would be good with 26k plates. I would be under that number with truck/trailer/load

  44. #44PlumberRob2016-05-18 14:48

    Kubota 95 at 11,500+- + trailer 5000lbs+- + truck 9000+- = 25,500lbs(I think you will be higher then 26,000 when added up with true numbers).any attachments will put you over 26,000. What's the point of farm plates if you can't go over 26,000???

  45. #45CCW132016-05-18 14:50

    I figured the truck more around 8k. SRW Ram 2500 6.4 and the trailer weighs 3050lbs. I called Gatormade.

  46. #46PlumberRob2016-05-18 14:53

    Well you should be all good then. Good luck with everything. Just don't go over on the weight hauling on the trailer, 14,000-3050=10,950 payload.

  47. #47CCW132016-05-18 14:54

    Should be lol. That's the problem. I appreciate the help and input from everyone. I'm going to do more checking on the 38k tags and see what they say.

  48. #48HRPServicesTX2016-05-18 16:09

    JNB, it sure is a fine line. This weather has been just crazy. Right now I have work stacked up till fall. I don't worry too much about my advertising on my truck, they can't prove I came or going to a jobsite. It's always on my truck and just tell them I'm going to my property etc. They don't need to know certain things. Every time I get pulled over I'm empty, it's so stupid. My truck is somewhere around 16,100# gross weight, and my trailer is 24k#. So I'm right above 40k# on farm tags. I Have a smaller gooseneck I had built with 8k# axles so it'll carry the machines and attachments better.

  49. #49CCW132016-05-19 13:01

    Made a deal for the SVL95-2. Going to be delivered tomorrow. Thank you everyone for your input and opinions. You were a great help.

  50. #50chevy942016-05-19 13:07

    Congrats CCW! Should be a very nice machine for you. Now you know the rules, better post some pics!

  51. #51CCW132016-05-19 13:13

    Will do once it's delivered.

  52. #52pafarmer2016-05-19 15:26

    Pictures or It didn't happen...

  53. #53CCW132016-05-20 17:13

    Just dropped it off. I'll take more when it's not pouring down rain (which is all it seems to do anymore)

  54. #54pafarmer2016-05-20 18:11

    Congrats....beutiful machine ! I hope you have good luck with it....

  55. #55CCW132016-05-20 19:48

    Thank you and thanks again for your help. Now I just hope I can get some time to play without it raining.

  56. #56JNB2016-05-20 19:56

    Well first you could yank out those pesky fence posts, then dig up the driveway..... Nice rig!

  57. #57CCW132016-05-20 20:01

    lol that is an idea! Of course it would be hard to see to run it with my eyes swollen from my wife beating me.

  58. #58pafarmer2016-05-20 20:23

    Not a problem at all CCW...Loads of great folks here that are always willing to help...I'm sure you will have your chance to put it through its paces real soon... it is enclosed, if its doesn't stop raining soon....just saying ! Enjoy your new Iron, it's a super shape machine....

  59. #59CCW132016-05-20 20:27

    Yeah it's enclosed but then I would get it muddy. It's too pretty to get muddy!

  60. #60HRPServicesTX2016-05-20 23:17

    Congrats on your machine, very nice! Hopefully the rain will let up do you can get to work with it.