Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Buying a track skid loader…too many options and am seeking some opinions

Blu Ox ยท 2016-05-08 22:40

Good evening equipment experts. I have recently made the plunge back into the excavation and dirt work business and am having a blast doing so. That said we are still doing our typical new home and commercial construction but recently realized I definitely have a need for a track machine. Here are the machines I am considering...all with around 500 to 1000 hours and in excellent condition. Bobcat T770 or T870 Cat 289 or 299 Kubota 90-2 Can any of you out there let me know if you have had experience running these machines, their pro's, con's, and what would be a good all around job site dirt machine. Happy Mother's Day!!

Replies2
  1. #1JNB2016-05-09 09:28

    I have no experience with Bobcat or Cat, but neither was considered when I purchased a new machine, so I can only comment on the Kubota. I traded in my Case for a 90-2 last week, but I've run both the 75 and 90 quite a bit over the last few years. The Kubota has pilots so there are a few features missing like ride control and the ability to adjust joystick sensitivity, both of which are nice to have. That said, E/H controls can be problematic and they're way more complicated (read expensive) to work on. I'll take simpler over fancy every time. For me, the other issue was the swing out vs. flip up door. I work by myself quite a bit and having the machine shut down or lose hydraulic power makes for a real problem when you're not in the position to relax the hydraulics and can't swing the door open to get out. For me, that was not just an inconvenience but in the back of my mind was also a safety issue. When I am working with a helper we're usually setting culverts and precast concrete safety ends. Being able to leave the door flipped up for better communication is not only more convenient, it makes the job go faster. There's only so many hand signs and the helper getting out of the hole a few times to talk through the side window takes time.

  2. #2PDG X2016-05-10 22:26

    The 289 is a great machine. The torsion axles on the tracks are the best for working in all terrain types. HFlow, Hydr QC, 2speed and the programmable hydraulics and joystick response allow you to tailor the machine to you and what you are doing. One thing I do agree w JNB above is the door - would be real nice to be able to operate w it open at times. But every mfr has its pros and cons. Just need to find a combination you can live with.