Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 329D Possible left joystick issue?

whuntley ยท 2024-02-12 15:47

Hello, Just after a really good rain my skid steer started acting strange. In ISO mode it would drive straight just fine. Once I tried to turn left or right I would get either a left or right speed sensor error. I can drive in H mode ok. Just not ISO. Once I put more than just a little input to go left or right the brakes come on and I have to turn the unit off and restart to go again. I can make very slight turns left or right in ISO mode. But, anything of significance it will beep about the left or right sensor then eventually the brake will stop me. I have an enclosed cab. But, water can always find its way in during a hard rain. I entered service mode and selected the Left joystick. In forward or backward motion the readout numbers will go to a certain range and stop. If I move the joystick left or right the numbers will go up to 20 or 30 then the screen stops displaying a number if I move the joystick full left or right. So it registers joystick movement. But, once I move past a certain range left or right with the joystick the numbers stop. I guess my question is: Is this normal for the left joystick to do this (left or right the calibration numbers eventually stop displaying) or did the rain mess up my controller? Serial Number for my 329D is 1T0329DJLBD21544. Thank you in advance for any advice or direction! Wayne

Replies5
  1. #1mg23612024-02-12 18:52

    Please post all active and stored codes by their SPN/FMI (the numbers) format.

  2. #2whuntley2024-02-12 21:04

    Hello! Here are the codes. There are several more that have been in there for a long time having to do with the throttle pedal I had to replace. I also tested the right joystick and the left and right axis display numbers at full range (unlike the left joystick). It is as if the left joystick at the extreme outer left and right lose connection. JSL 2697.14, HCU 1595.02, HCU 1594.02. I have also attached images of each code. These codes can be cleared and are only thrown with the left joystick and only when moving the joystick to the extreme left or extreme right. I can move the joystick in both the left and right without errors if I only move them slightly enough to initiate a left or right turn. On the Left joystick test left and right would only go to about 23 on the left axis and 30 on the right. After that the numbers would change to a dash and the code would be thrown. I have resorted to driving in H mode then switching over to ISO when I need to move the boom. Thank you! Wayne

  3. #3mg23612024-02-13 12:02

    For this, you need a new left joystick controller.

  4. #4whuntley2024-02-13 12:46

    That was the answer I was hoping not to hear lol :-( It isn't completely dead It just has problems when going to extreme left and right. That's why I thought it might be the mechanical part of the joystick. The electrical part of the joystick or the control module seems to be well sealed and hard to believe water was able to get in there. I guess the joysticks problem could have just been a coincidence with the hard rain.

  5. #5whuntley2024-05-05 11:34

    I finally removed the joystick and I noticed that the module sensor circuitry is covered with a conformal silicone. It appears the silicone is damaged in two areas. Can anyone tell me what the module replacement part number is or is it just the whole lower half of the joystick controller which is part number AT345326? If so where can one find the best deal on one of these? Thank you!