Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

289C Parking Brake

SmokinJoe ยท 2024-02-11 22:03

Hello, 2011 289C parking brake will not release. Battery was getting weak so used a battery charger to jump. That is when this issue began. So far have traced wiring harness with no signs of damage. Have checked relays. Have checked fuses. Have checked plugs in wiring harness. Have removed parking brake solenoid from hydraulic pump reads 7 ohms when tested with a multimeter, also seems to operate when 12 volts is applied. All interlocks of door, seat, and safety bars work. Boom and bucket hydraulics will release when parking release switch is pressed. Switch was examined no malfunction found. I was hoping someone may have the wiring schematic for this machine? Hopefully I can use the schematic to find a wiring short, otherwise I have to call out a CAT ET at $250 an hour. Please give any suggestions that I have not tried. Machine serial is in pic below.

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2024-02-11 22:41

    Somebody does. Check your messages.

  2. #2SmokinJoe2024-02-20 17:52

    So the problem was not the parking brake. The issue was the joystick had gone out. The new joystick ($1600) from CAT fixed the issue, it has a new part number which tells me they know something was wrong with the old part. It took CAT ET to find this issue, no bad wires. It showed on the techs computer as it was not plugged in at all. He would get the same error code when he unplugged the hydraulic control joystick on the opposite side. But since I tore the old one apart I thought I would share the pics, hopefully this will help someone. There is nothing in here that can be serviced. Also, some back ground on how this works. The part with the yellowish square pad picks up the location of a magnet in the bottom of the joystick then sends that position (0-100) to the ECU, the ECU sends out a voltage to the hydraulic solenoid that opens the hydraulic valve based on the position it reads. I would recommend if you get a flashing error and the machine won't move and you have checked the harness get the CAT ET to come hook in and save yourself some time. Good luck.

  3. #3Nige2024-02-20 18:06

    There might be an alternative but we never got that far after your original post. Can you post a photo of the panel in the top RH corner of the cab please.

  4. #4SmokinJoe2024-02-20 18:14

    Hi Nige, Sure, here is right side.

  5. #5Nige2024-02-20 19:05

    Guess what.? If you'd asked I could have given you a method of looking at Diagnostic Codes and Events using that panel.

  6. #6SmokinJoe2024-02-20 19:07

    I would like to know how to do that! Please.

  7. #7Nige2024-02-20 19:10

    Certanly, seeing as you asked nicely............ Thing is there are 3 different types of panel available for a C-Series machine and only the one you have permits the Codes to be read. See the attached. Read the instructions carefully because they are not the clearest thing in the world. Any question ask away.

  8. #8Acoals2024-02-20 20:05

    That is helpful, I have a 262C with what appears to be the same display. Thanks, Nige.