Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 330G DEF problem

Pullnfool ยท 2024-12-01 18:26

I get a message "DEF SYSTEM FAULT" and engine power and speed limited.. Any insite on what could be the issue would be appreciated..

Replies24
  1. #1mg23612024-12-02 05:14

    Welcome to HEF Pullnfool ! Let's start with the machine serial number please. Press the menu button, scroll to codes, press select. Post all the codes you have, both stored and active. Post them by their number, not their description.

  2. #2Pullnfool2025-04-11 12:34

    Diesel Dave.. Thank you for your reply.. Sorry for the long time between my reply.. I lost this forum.. The code is 523075.01.. The serial number of my machine is 1T0330GMEHF312480.. The machine will only idle now.. That is the only code in the machine.. Thank you again for your help.. R.B. Barnby

  3. #3Diesel Dave2025-04-11 14:07

    @pullinfool, that was all @mg2361 .

  4. #4mg23612025-04-12 07:16

    523075.01 is Sensor Supply Voltage #2 Outy of Range Low. That translates to a short in the sensor supply voltage, either in a sensor itself or the wiring to one of the sensors. The sensors on that circuit are the camshaft position sensor, the manifold and exhaust air pressure sensor and the analog throttle. The ECU's response to that code is to force the engine to idle. The easiest approach would be to have someone with software to monitor the voltage while unplugging the sensors one at a time. You could do it by backprobing the sensor supply voltage of the easiest one to get at which would be the camshaft position sensor (red wire), or the foot throttle (also the red wire). While backprobed, you will see voltage less that 4 volts if the code is active. It will jump to 5 volts when the defective sensor is unplugged. If unplugging the sensors does not raise the voltage, then the issue is in the wiring. Do note, the sensors on the engine have a secondary lock that has to be disengaged before the primary lock tab can be released to remove the connector (they are a royal pain). The camshaft sensor is monitoring the High Pressure Injection Pump's gear and is located on the side of the timing gear cover at the left rear side of the machine. The manifold and exhaust pressure sensor is on the top rear of the rocker arm cover (a bear to get to). I have replaced many of these, so this one could be suspect (and expensive). Throttle locations are obvious.

  5. #5Pullnfool2025-04-13 13:30

    I went back in and found some stored codes.. 1209.13, 523075.01, 158.04, 168.04, 100.01, 106.10, 522828.07, 2280.7, 523636.00, and it displays a message that it needs exhaust pressure calibration, it has a 64 in the lower left corner then 2317.7 Also a message no DTC info, very high..

  6. #6Pullnfool2025-04-13 13:41

    Dave. you are very through in your descriptions.. What a pleasure it must be to have al that knowledge upstairs.. I can r down an engine and put it back together but when it comes to all this electronics, I am lost.. I have given my John Deere dealer here a five hundred dollar deposit to come out and fix my machine but I have not heard from them in two weeks.. I called back on friday and they said hey have me in the works but could not give me a time they would come out.. Not a good sign.. Thank you again for your very detailed comments.. R.B.

  7. #7Pullnfool2025-04-13 18:28

    I must apologize, I see it was not Dave that replied to my message.. It was mg2361.. Just so credit goes to where it belongs.. Today I started my machine and it would run at full throttle.. I put my mulcher on and ran it at full throttle on high flow for about three hours.. I did notice the DEF level going down..I have had this happen before when the machine was running as it should.. The DEF level goes down.. This leads me to think that there is a bad connection to the power supply for the DEF pump.. I am not even sure where the pump is, in the DEF tank or on the machine somewhere.. Insite would be helpful about that.. You have been a great help.. I am going to need to put you on my Christmas list.. Thank you, R.B.

  8. #8mg23612025-04-14 05:25

    Let's clear the codes, then run the machine to see what codes come back if any. To clear them, key on, press and hold the menu button until the words service menu appear in the screen. Scroll to codes, press select. Press next until the word clear appears. Press select. The DEF should go down as you run the machine. How fast is it dropping? More load on the engine will require more DEF. If there are any electrical issues with your DEF pump, there would be codes for it and none of your codes are DEF pump related.

  9. #9Pullnfool2025-04-15 03:57

    Dave. you are very through in your disscriptions..

  10. #10Pullnfool2025-04-15 04:08

    I have noticed that when the machine has the reduced power message that the DEF level does not drop.. Then the machine goes to reduced power mode.. I did not know how do clear the codes.. Thank you for letting me know how to do this.. I had an idea today about moisture.. In the winter while plowing snow of coarse there is some snow tracked into the floor.. Your message about the red wire on the throttle peddle got me thinking that maybe the throttle peddle was the issue.. Yesterday when I was mulching I would use the throttle peddle to DECELERATE when the mulcher was not cutting to keep the RPMS down on the mulcher.. I am wondering is using the peddle helped the issue??? No problem with running all the time I used the machine.. Just a thought.. I will clear the codes as you have asked and use the machine again today and see what comes back.. Today Monday was pool day so I did not run the machine.. Will let you know what happens tomorrow.. You are a life saver.. Thanks.. R.B.

  11. #11Pullnfool2025-04-15 04:15

    In answering your question about DEF usage, I think when it is using DEF fluid it is using it at a normal rate.. I use this opinion as watching the rate of drop before I had this issue..

  12. #12Pullnfool2025-04-15 04:18

    Where is the DEF pump located? Is it in the tank or outside?

  13. #13mg23612025-04-15 04:54

    See below.

  14. #14Pullnfool2025-04-15 19:42

    Thank you for the picture.. It was snowing here in Michigan today so I did not run my machine but I have plans to run it tomorrow..

  15. #15Pullnfool2025-04-17 07:18

    Dave.. I ran my 330 G at full throttle mostly for about four hours today mulching the ice fallen trees and brush.. I have not checked for codes yet.. I did clear the old codes.. The machine ran flawless and DEF gauge went down as it should normally.. I will let you know if any codes come back.. You are a real life saver sharing your knowledge of these machines on here.. Thank you.. R.B.

  16. #16Pullnfool2025-04-19 08:45

    I checked for codes after running the machine for about eight hours.. No new codes.. You are the 330 G Dr. Thank you for your help.. Where are you? I am in Michigan..

  17. #17mg23612025-04-20 06:07

    PA. Hover over the username of any individual and if they loaded a location, it will tell you where they are located

  18. #18Vetech632025-04-20 08:36

    Thanks Dave! LOL

  19. #19Pullnfool2025-04-22 22:43

    Dave, Can you tell me where the pot is to plug in a computer? I am so blessed to have had you help me with this issue I had with my 330G Deere.. It is so good to have it up and running again.. It has been real handy being able to run my mulcher in the woods here after having been through this bad ice storm we had here a few weeks ago.. There are still a few places that still are without power..

  20. #20Diesel Dave2025-04-22 22:58

    FYI @Pullnfool , to be clear @mg2361 is the guy providing all the great info.

  21. #21Pullnfool2025-04-22 23:08

    Thank you for pointing out my errors.. This was my first time on here and as it turns out I was connected to a very well versed gentleman.. I thought you were the same.. I owe @mg2361 an apology for my miss placed credits.. Thank you for setting me straight..

  22. #22Pullnfool2025-04-22 23:15

    Diesel Dave set me straight on my misplaced credit to him rather than thanking you, the one with the kind knowledge shared to me.. I do really appreciate all your knowledge and help in getting me 330G back to running right.. One more thing, I would like to know, can you tell me where to find the plug for the computer connection.. Everything on this machine is all cluttered with all the smog stuff.. Thank you again for all your help.. R.B. Barnby.. (R.B. is my legal first name.. With periods.. LOL)

  23. #23mg23612025-04-23 04:57

    On the bottom of the left instrument panel. It sticks straight down. There is a little storage net hanging from that panel and the plug is behind it. It will most likely have a rubber cap covering it as well.

  24. #24Pullnfool2025-04-23 16:30

    You are like the SHELL answer man.. Always have the answer.. Thank you again.. R.B.