Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 333D – No electrical power to key switch panel

thuynh360 ยท 2019-03-21 10:43

Good morning, my skid steer isn't getting any electrical power to the right hand panel that holds the key switch, parking release and lights. I've checked all the fuses and all are in good working condition tested with a multimeter. I've already replaced all the relays on the unit as well. I've tried checking if there were any loose grounds but could not see any that were loose or rusted. Thought it could be the battery but I charged it and currently holds 12.8v of juice. All of the wiring is in its original condition. There is power from battery to fuse panel. All fuses have power going to it except the "Switched Power" fuse. Not sure if its suppose to have constant power or not. There is power going to the "Lights" fuse but the lights do not work either. Is there a "master switch" or a circuit breaker thats hidden somewhere that I could check? Just seems very very odd that I'm not getting any power to the entire panel that holds the key switch, lights, and parking release. When I sit down, the left panel (monitor) does power on but it always does when theres weight in the seat. Back story - about a month ago I pressure washed the skid steer to clean and put it away since I was going on vacation and have not touch it since. During this time, it started just fine however the key switch went bad and was replaced with a new one and worked. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

Replies14
  1. #1mg23612019-03-21 12:30

    If you have power to both sides of the F1 fuse then check for power at the key switch. If no power to the key switch then check X1 connector terminal "M" (see attachment for location). If you have power to the key switch check the K8 ignition relay (see attached). Also, most of the grounds are connected to the flywheel housing under the cab near the starter.

  2. #2thuynh3602019-03-21 16:06

    So after a bit of digging. I discovered a broken power wire above the headliner that goes to the key switch. Reconnected the wire and I now have power to the key switch and lights. However pressing parking park to engage the locks doesn't effect the monitor like it normally does. The monitor still doesn't see the parking lock engaging or disengaging and when I turn the key to the On position, it doesn't do the sweeping motion on the fuel and temp analog monitor. Any ideas? I've spent the last 2-3 hours undoing the cabin wire harness and looking at every wire to see if there are any that's broken but no luck. My gut is telling me that there's another wire broken or possibly the ecu isn't being turned on to give the signal to the monitor.

  3. #3mg23612019-03-21 19:13

    F2 and F15 fuses are good and have voltage through them? Have voltage at pin "N" (p10 red wire) on the 14 pin connector of the monitor with the key on? The ground for the monitor is near the starter I mentioned earlier. Please clarify...What exactly happens when in the monitor when you sit in the seat? What happens when you turn the key on? Upon initial power-up, the EMU runs a self-test to ensure that all functions are operating. If powered by the seat switch, the EMU self-test turns the backlighting on, turns on all LCD pixels for 1 second, and turns on all indicator lights for 5 seconds. If powered by the key switch only, the EMU self-test turns the backlighting on, turns on all LCD pixels for 1 second, turns on all indicator lights for 5 seconds, and then goes to normal runtime screens. The gauges calibrate to the right post, go to vertical position for 1 second, and then go to their runtime positions. If the key switch is turned ON after the seat switch is ON, the gauges calibrate to the right post, and then go to their runtime positions. After the self-test, the display initially reads TMC BY JOHN DEERE for 1.5 seconds before showing the machine model and speeds for 3 seconds. Keep in mind the "D" series has issues with the relays and corrosion due to water infiltration. Pull K8 relay as well as others and look for the "green stuff" on the connections. If there is you may need to do some cleaning and need to add dielectric grease.

  4. #4thuynh3602019-03-22 10:45

    F2 fuse has good power coming to it. F15 has NO power going to it. There is NO voltage to pin N on the 14 pin connector of the monitor. When I sit in the seat, the monitor turns on and does exactly as you described. But when I attempt to power on using the "key only, no one in seat" it doesn't do anything. The EMU/monitor does not power on, no indicator lights, no self calibration, nothing. I've double checked the relays to check for corrosion and they were all replaced with brand new relays to be safe. Should all the relays have power once the key switch is turn to the ON position? I believe the only relay that is getting power when key is ON is the K4 relay (accessories). I'll have to double check that today but I don't believe the K8 relay (ignition) is getting any power when key is turned to the ON position.

  5. #5thuynh3602019-03-22 13:26

    Went to check the relays today and found that the relays are all good. They are all brand new and double checked with with a multimeter for correct function. I even swapped around the relays to the accessories (K4) socket and they function correctly since that's the only socket with voltage going to it. So now I'm stuck wondering why theres no voltage going to the ignition socket (K8) and no voltage going to the F15 fuse socket. I've tested with the key at the ON position.

  6. #6mg23612019-03-22 18:55

    Maybe these will help.

  7. #7thuynh3602019-03-25 23:53

    just a quick update. The schematics helped out a ton!!! After a few hours of tracing down only the wires I need to trace down I manged to discover that the culprit was a rusted diode fuse....SMH. Odd part thing was that I check the diode and it tested good but the prongs that you insert weren't making a good connection to the fuse box.

  8. #8mg23612019-03-26 04:09

    Thanks for the update !

  9. #9Clive Schultz2021-01-15 17:01

    I'm having the same/similar issues with my skid steer 318D . as mentioned in the above blog he had issues with the diode prongs being rusted. Is there supposed to be power to the diodes all the time or at what point are they to have power?? At present I have no power there with or without key on?? does it come into play when something is in operation? Thanks for any help

  10. #10mg23612021-01-16 05:31

    Welcome to HEF Clive ! Please post a new thread of your own and post the serial number so we can get accurate information.

  11. #11Brian Langevin2021-12-26 17:28

    Hi - I have a 318D with the above problem. Other than this thread, I did a search, and have not found an response. 2012 318D Manual controls. Normally when I sit in the seat the machine runs the EMU test as described above( there is also a series of beeps- I then input my 3 digit security code. Turn the key and the unit starts. As of today, when I sit in the seat, the panel lights up but the EMU does not do the self test. No beeps and no entering of security code. The key does not function. All the fuses appear ok( multi-meter tested) Is there a specific relay for the EMU or is there a specific fuse?

  12. #12Brian Langevin2021-12-27 00:16
  13. #13Brian Langevin2021-12-27 00:18

    Issue resolved. When I was changing a blown light fuse I accidentally knocked out one of the diode fuses. I re-inserted it with out any thought to direction. Apparently they are directional. i flipped it around and now have normal start commands.

  14. #14Joseph barnes2022-08-22 17:43

    Hey guys I am having the same issue with my 332E skid steer 274305 I have power at at all the fuses except F15-17-and 18 any thoughts could it be the rusted diode on mine also