Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 333E engine overhaul?

KSFarmer2 ยท 2023-02-01 21:29

I have a 333e that we believe needs an engine. Oil consumption, excessive crankcase pressure and a disappointing oil sample. No reman available and not a sleeved motor. Is there overhaul kits available with over sized pistons? Any help appreciated.

Replies18
  1. #1heymccall2023-02-01 23:16

    Looks to be a 4TNV94-CHT. What's on your cylinder head valve cover plate? Yanmar makes up to 0.020 over pistons. There is nothing exotic about it, and there are 4TNV manuals, for engine teardown and rebuild, on the internet.

  2. #2mg23612023-02-02 05:52

    Is the hose entering the turbo split? A common problem with them that leads to dusted engines. The hose from the air cleaner to the turbo, depending on the serial number, may have loose clamps, also allowing dirt injestion. How about sharing the oil sample results. A note on Yanmar engine availability: If a Deere parts person is not familiar with the procedure, then when he looks up the engine or short block, it will show none available. They are available, however. To purchase a Yanmar engine through your Deere dealer, they have a specific procedure they need to follow to comply with EPA regulations in order to get that engine. There is an easily acquired bulletin that explains how to do that and the parts guy should be familiar with it.

  3. #3KSFarmer22023-02-02 08:02

    Ok. I will check into this. You would suggest going directly to Yanmar to get these pistons? Thanks

  4. #4KSFarmer22023-02-02 08:10

    Thanks for the response. Yes we are assuming dirt is the cause of this but have searched thoroughly and have found no leak. I bought this machine used and assume that something happened before I owned it. It did use some oil from day one. All that I have located is a brand new engine. About 25k. I will attach picture of oil sample.

  5. #5Tinkerer2023-02-02 09:38

    Here is a reman long block. Maybe. https://usengineproduction.com/products/Yanmar-4TNV94CHT-NJSL-Reman-Long-Block-Engine/189

  6. #6Nige2023-02-02 09:49

    The oil sample indicates the engine currently has (not had as in the past tense) a major level of dust ingestion. How long has the machine been in your ownership.? IMO if the answer is anything more than a few weeks you need to be looking again very closely at the air intake system for leaks. Silicon in an engine oil sample should be in single figures if the engine is in good condition, not 56. The high viscosity of the oil could possibly be as a results of the presence of the silicon. What oil are you using.?

  7. #7KSFarmer22023-02-02 09:56

    Had owned it for a year at that point. Probably 300 hours. There was some uncertainty of oil viscosity at that time of the sample so I'm not sure how much wieght I'd put on that viscosity issue. I have been using what we have on hand which is john deere 15-40 plus 50.

  8. #8Nige2023-02-02 10:18

    It has a leaking air intake in that case. I would say 99.99% guaranteed. I have no idea exactly what the air intake system looks like but there must be a flexible tube somewhere between the air filter and the engine. Remove it and look inside. Another possible option is sabotage, someone tipping sand down the oil filler in other words. Not unknown but probably unlikely in your case. Usually major quantities of dirt ingestion (which your sample has) will cause a significant increase in viscosity. Typically a 15W/40 will come in around the 14-15 cSt range, but with in excess of 50ppm of dirt in the sample a viscosity of 17+ would not surprise me at all.

  9. #9KSFarmer22023-02-02 10:24

    Ok. Appreciate your help. I will look into it further. Something I should add, probably a mistake but when I took that oil sample I took it out of the drain hose which could have added to the contaminates. Just a thought.

  10. #10Nige2023-02-02 10:28

    If you let the oil run for a bit to flush the drain tube before collecting the sample it should have been OK.

  11. #11KSFarmer22023-02-02 10:30

    I did do that.

  12. #12Nige2023-02-02 10:31

    Then in that case your oil sample should have been pretty representative of what was in the engine.

  13. #13KSFarmer22023-02-02 10:39

    Thanks for the input. I will investigate further. Inspection from the outside and even the inside of the intake boot which you can see behind the air filter when removed it looks good but I will remove that whole boot between air cleaner and turbo and inspect closer. Thanks again.

  14. #14Nige2023-02-02 10:47

    Try wiping inside the boot with a clean lint-free white cloth and see how it comes out.

  15. #15KSSS2023-02-02 16:18

    25K for an engine. Damm that is a lot of money.

  16. #16heymccall2023-02-02 16:42

    Takeuchi was kind enough to deliver us a new TL150 with a cracked air cleaner housing. By 500 hours, oil was pouring out the breather. Was $17k for drop 8n engine and labor. Warranty wouldn't pay as they insisted that it ran without air filters. Got it back and went over it with a fine tooth comb. Found the cracked housing, and tried as hard as I could to convince them that the housing was the root issue. I only bring that up because it was also a 4TNV, albeit a 4TNV106T. Intake tube looked clean, but a white rag proved otherwise.

  17. #17mg23612023-02-03 05:08

    Another area to check is the intake manifold for cracks. That has been an issue on the small frame SSL's with 4TNV98 engines, but not the large frame 4TNV94 engines like yours. But still worth a look.

  18. #18KSFarmer22023-02-04 07:46

    Ok. That has crossed my mind and I have not looked that over very close. Thanks