Can you remove the check ball in the return line on the injection pump, It seems to be getting clogged up?
if it is clogging up the flex ring in the pump is going out a rebuild is in your future it will run without it but that is what maintains your fuel pressure so dont know how it would be under a load
Dave's right, I've removed the ball and spring and sometimes they'll run a long time and sometimes not. If it's a pretty nice machine it would probably be best to replace the pump or have it repaired. Can you put a picture of the dozer on here? I've worked on a lot of JD machines and that's one I've never saw before.
That's it. Bought it from the original owner with around 1400 hrs.
Nice. When JD went to wet steering clutches that was a major improvement.
What would be the correct procedure for pulling the pump?
there is a small plate with 2 screws holding it remove plate there are scribe marks one is stationary the other rotates line them up they can be hard to see. be careful that you don't roll the umbrella seals on the shaft when installing
Can you post a pic of the pump or list the model for the rest us to follow along? Sounds like a regular Stanadyne...
It's a db2 4464
The check ball I'm used to is a small glass ball and folks will break it out with a sharp punch or nail to get a few more miles/years out of the pump before pulling it. But yeah, once the flex ring starts plugging it, it's all borrowed time on the pump.
Just got it back from rebuild. Is there a gasket between the pump and engine or just the o-ring?
Should be just an o-ring. As stated earlier, be sure you don't roll the umbrella seals when putting it on. Lubricate them up good and the tube also. Don't get in a hurry and you should be fine.
What is a good lube that won't hurt the seal?
The C models had wet steering clutches. Not a lot of difference between a C and a D. Two or three more horse power I think but also a different coupler from the transmission to the bevel gear that was apparently weaker and more prone to failure. The loader versions had a 5 on the end instead of all models being a 350 or 450. I had an 87 355D loader and I think the guys I sold it to had the coupler break. It won't move but they never really looked into it.
I just use some light grease.