Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 3rd function kit

Montecresto · 2022-07-03 17:25

Just went through the historic Calf Canyon/Hermits Peak fire in New Mexico which burnt nearly 400,000 acres of public/private land including 40-50% of my own 140 acres. The majority of that which burnt is smaller pine in the 6-8” diameter size at ground level and 20’-25’ tall…. My plan, picking a section at a time is to push these blackened dead trees over with my dozer and pile them up and then load them in the dump truck (which I plan to have soon) and transport load after load to the various ravines/arroyos I’ve got about the property. It’s too much material and the ravines and arroyos are too far away to be pushing everything the whole way with the dozer. So, for my John Deere 4044M tractor I just ordered a 72” Titan grapple bucket. The question is, where to buy and which 3rd function unit should I get to use the two extra jaws on the new Titan? And I suppose where to mount the unit for it to be in reach and best function?

Replies22
  1. #1hosspuller2022-07-03 19:44

    You have three options with your tractor Use a spare SCV if available... least cost install a diverter valve in a loader circuit... more costly install a power beyond & solenoid valve ... most costly

  2. #2NH575E2022-07-03 19:58

    A lot depends on your capabilities and what may or may not be available for the tractor. A lot of John Deere tractors have a third un used spool on the loader's SCV. My 4310 has one but it was going to be more trouble to utilize than I wanted to do. Go to the jd parts lookup and search for 3rd scv to see if they have a kit for your tractor. I pieced together a diverter valve system from scratch. I bought a 8gpm selector valve from Baily Hydraulics. I used the curl function of the loader to operate the grapple clamps. I bought all the fittings and hoses from a local shop that specialize in hoses of all types. I was all in for less than $300. The selector valve solenoid only takes a couple amps so you don't need a heavy switch or wire. I went overkill and made my own loader handle and stuck a 50 amp starter button on top.

  3. #3Montecresto2022-07-03 20:13

    Are you referring to something like this? I can see how the two hoses that come with the grapple bucket would have a place to connect. How do you get the two claws to open and close though????

  4. #4Montecresto2022-07-03 20:15

    Here’s the grapple bucket so everyone knows what I’m working with…. https://www.palletforks.com/tractor...o-grapple-bucket-fits-john-deere/JDERTGP.html

  5. #5Montecresto2022-07-03 20:19

    To your first point, I’m not very capable at all. Not much of a mechanic. I just know how to operate equipment, not the best at modifying or maintaining beyond the basics. I was hoping for and needing a ‘plug and play’ of sorts…..

  6. #6hosspuller2022-07-03 20:54

    A couple of points for you. 1. make sure the grapple you're buying is compatible with your loader. Deere has three carriers, Deere QA, Global QA and Skid steer QA. Better to get the grapple that fits your carrier. 2. You have pictured a diverter. It "diverters" flow from a hydraulic circuit to one of two out lets. I can't tell if it is suitable for your grapple. In use, you'd switch it (via electrics) to the grapple, then use the loader control to operate the grapple. You can only use one function at a time. (loader or grapple) The two claws both open & close together (picture seems to show both plumbed together) 3. You would be best served by paying your tractor dealer to install and instruct you on the grapple. (as you're not "much of a mechanic") Three "P" s Pay, Plug & Play.

  7. #7Montecresto2022-07-03 21:00

    I did in fact buy the grapple that is compatible with my loader, made sure to cross reference that. Otherwise yeah, ill get a neighbor who has a shop/tools and more experience to help, sense there appears not to be anything that would be “plug and play” for this. Thank you…..

  8. #8Camshawn2022-07-03 21:11

    Look up “tractor time with time” on u tube. He has several videos on adding a third function and has links to the parts with a small discount. At the very least, you will understand the terms used. Cam

  9. #9NH575E2022-07-03 21:12

    JD lists a mid scv kit with joystick for your tractor that might work. I agree with hosspuller that you should contact your dealer for a quote to install a grapple function. Some dealers may use a WR Long kit or a Summit kit but I would prefer a JD kit if available. There are very few plug and play kits on the market due to all the variables. Here is a link to the JD Mid SCV kit. My dealer lists it at $787.60 and that doesn't include installation or hoses to connect it to the grapple. The supplied grapple hoses might just plug on but I wouldn't count on it. Part number ST913312 https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/2030563/referrer/search/pgId/705242147

  10. #10Montecresto2022-07-03 21:15

    Nice, thank you….

  11. #11Montecresto2022-07-03 21:16

    Very helpful. Thank you so much….

  12. #12Welder Dave2022-07-03 21:36

    Do you have rear hydraulics on the tractor in addition to the loader hydraulics? If so you could run a simple control valve off of them.

  13. #13NH575E2022-07-03 21:40

    I don't like the looks of the Summit valve. I used a DSV-62-08-12 selector valve in my pieced together setup. It isn't really that complicated. You just move the hoses that currently go to the curl function to the input side of the selector valve. Get new hoses to connect the normally open side of the selector valve back to the curl cylinders. Connect the top ports to fittings for the grapple to plug onto. Wire a momentary switch onto the loader handle to activate the selector valve solenoid. To open and close the grapple you just push the switch button and hold it down while moving the loader handle side to side. I could have done a neater job but here is how mine turned out.

  14. #14Montecresto2022-07-03 21:41

    Hmmm, that would sure be handy!!! I’m at my Arkansas property and that tractor is in New Mexico, so I’m not sure, but perjhaos I can look it up and see. If not, I’ll find out when I get back out there. Thank you so much for the help….!

  15. #15Montecresto2022-07-03 21:43

    I love that! Glad to see so many options.

  16. #16Camshawn2022-07-03 21:59

    My tractor has 2 rear remotes. I ran a set of hoses from the rear u dear the tractor and up the loader frame and use one of my rear remotes to do the 3rd function. Cam

  17. #17Tyler d4c2022-07-04 00:16

    I'll give the word of caution. If you run these compact tractors like there a 988 they can be majorly broken. I've fixed my fair share of this the most memorable one being a 5055e? Guy was trying to dig out a stump and he broke it in half between his legs. Then about 2 months later it showed up with the engine dusted........

  18. #18Montecresto2022-07-04 00:37

    Always prudent to use a tractor as it was designed. I had a 5055e myself, think that one was a shuttle shift if I recall. Think I’ve got a couple thousand hours on this 10 year old tractor…..

  19. #19Tyler d4c2022-07-04 09:50

    Your leaps and bounds ahead of him then iirc when that all happened it had 1200 or so hours on it.

  20. #20Montecresto2022-07-04 09:59

    I know that some people use this grapple bucket for grubbing stumps, and dug in brush and the like. I have a dozer for that. All I intend to do with mine is load loose burnt black tree sticks, that I have pushed up with the dozer…

  21. #21Welder Dave2022-07-04 18:59

    A track loader would be a good machine for knocking down and loading tree's. My former neighbor told me to remember that the loader on the tractor is not an industrial machine.

  22. #22Montecresto2022-07-04 19:11

    Yeah, but I don’t have one of those….. Btw, I’m doing this on my property, for myself. I’m not for hire and this is not an industrial operation. Although it would be a hell of an opportunity for someone to come through this part of New Mexico and make an industrial operation out of gathering up tens of thousands of acres of burnt, but still commercially valuable ponderosa pine….