Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 401D TLB Manuals

Aaron Silver · 2018-04-04 15:14

I just bought an '82 401D TLB which is going to need some maintenance. After getting a Fuel Injector pump replaced last year it's apparently been purring like a kitten but apparently is now getting diesel fuel in the engine oil. Based on the great god Google I'm thinking that the most likely culprit is a leaking fuel injector. Once that's taken care of I'm going to need to change the oil and I should then be able to do all the tasks I gave my wife as the reason I NEEDED the backhoe. I'm totally unfamiliar with this tractor however, and it is not coming with any manuals... Does anyone have the Service Manual and/or the Owner's Manual? While I'm sure I can figure out the fuel injector replacement piece (I can at least see them) I don't have any idea yet on where to drain/fill the oil, how much, what weights etc. And if anything happens in the future having the service manual would be a good thing to have as I start scratching my head. Thanks in advance, Aaron

Replies5
  1. #1Delmer2018-04-04 17:33

    Fuel injector isn't my first guess. Most likely is your new (suspect) fuel injection pump. If this has a transfer pump mounted on the block then that's the second most likely, even if you don't have one, it's still second most likely. How much fuel are you getting in the oil, and what have you found so far? A manual will be of limited value without the experience to understand it.

  2. #2repowerguy2018-04-04 18:08

    I’d say there is a good chance that one of the umbrella seals rolled or tore when it was slid over the drive shaft and that is the issue. I’m sure Pumpguy will weigh in here directly.

  3. #3ovrszd2018-04-04 19:11

    And here is an excellent thread that contains many, many manuals. Pretty sure you'll find your machine's manuals. Take the time to scroll thru the lengthy thread. If yours aren't there ask, someone will share them. HeavyEquipmentForums

  4. #4Aaron Silver2018-04-05 08:38

    Delmer - Thank you for the suggestions of what to look at... While I've got limited experience I've got a childhood friend who is a whiz... He's gonna be doing the primary diagnosis on this once I get it over to him. As for the manuals, I agree that they will be of limited use without the experience, but I figure that's how I'll learn and get the experience... And for some stuff... like what weight oil, how much, where to fill/drain hopefully the operators manual would have that, and for things like where lube/grease points are, etc... I know I should, but on this tractor I haven't a clue where and would most likely miss something without some reference to doublecheck/confirm. And since it's a 35+ year old tractor, I'm sure that the fuel/oil issue is only the first of many learning experiences. repowerguy - I'll have to look at the pump tomorrow, but from what I remember it looked like the new pump was just surface mounted on the side of the tractor with the fuel lines in and out to the injector... I didn't think it was anywhere near the drive shaft. And I look forward to Pumpguy weighing in and setting me straight. ovrszd - Thanks for the thread info... I'll be sifting through that immediately! Aaron

  5. #5Delmer2018-04-05 11:29

    Repowerguy, that's got one of them teleport drives for the injection pump, don't ya know. Aaron, find the transfer/priming pump on the block, with the fuel lines hooked to it, and loosen the nuts so that you can pull it a fraction of an inch from the block, then pump the priming lever and see if diesel drips out between the engine and pump. If you can't find that stuff, then get the guy back who did the injection pump to have another look.