Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 4045t250a Crank no start

ToxicTrav117 ยท 2025-11-25 18:47

I started up my morbark woodchipper and it started like normal then it died on me. Fuel filter is full and I can build pressure with the lift pump primer. It will run for a few seconds on starting fluid and then die. Could it be the shutoff solenoid? This thing also has the tattletale system on there, and I'm not quite sure how you check if that is working properly. Where is the shutoff solenoid located on the pump so I can test if it's getting power or not? I cant seem to find a straight answer on google about it. This thing has never given me problems before, and I dont see any fuel leaks anywhere or around the injectors up top, which makes me think its not air in the injector lines.

Replies8
  1. #1Mr. Wrench2025-11-25 21:03

    The shutoff should be that solenoid with the wire hooked to it right above the injector lines there on the back. Run a jumper wire to it to see if it is a problem with the pump or the machine.

  2. #2ToxicTrav1172025-11-27 18:13

    I checked for power at the solenoid and it has 12v. I hear it click when I turn on the key too but still not starting. I checked to see that fuel is coming into the pump through that metal line and it is. So I loosened one of the injector lines and no fuel was coming out while cranking so I think that pretty much confirms the shutoff solenoid.

  3. #3Mr. Wrench2025-11-27 18:24

    You could take the solenoid out to see if anything is wrong with it. If not it may be the pump needs rebuilt.

  4. #4MarshallPowerGen2025-11-28 11:51

    I'll second you should pull the FSS and bench test it. Also look down in the hole and see if there's a bunch of crud built up in there. Should be easy to remove and no springs are going to launch out at you.

  5. #5ToxicTrav1172025-12-01 11:57

    I took the solenoid out and the plunger fell out of the thing is that normal ha ha

  6. #6ToxicTrav1172025-12-01 12:06

    It does react to the key it pulls the plunger up so it tooks like it's working properly

  7. #7thepumpguysc2025-12-02 11:22

    U can leave the plunger and spring out and screw the body back in, just to eliminate any electrical gremlins.

  8. #8ToxicTrav1172025-12-07 17:54

    I figured out the problem. It was a cracked fuel line in the tank that picked up the fuel, and it kept sucking air in cranking or handpriming the engine.