Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 410 B with 4-219 Crack Crankshaft

ephotrod ยท 2016-10-04 00:58

We acquired a JD 410 B not running, for some dumb reason the two of us thought hey we can make this work and use it again. Well as it goes we paid to much for it and have one of the worst case scenarios. The motor has been removed as we realized its seized. During the inspection we realized that the crankshaft is broken at the rod journal at the number 3 piston. Further inspection shows the rod bearings have no Babbitt left and are clevit .030 bearings meaning the crank has been touched before. I'm having a hell of a time finding a used crankshaft or motor for her. Where about does one go to find used JD parts without giving up your first born. I at this point may need to purchase a shop manual for torque and timing specs. Any and all advise (and jokes) are welcome. Thank you for the help in advance. Josh Location West Texas

Replies10
  1. #1Tinkerer2016-10-04 09:10

    This rebuilder had new and used crankshafts. http://www.dieselcranks.com/product...by_engine=360&sort_by_item=82&sort_by_make=38

  2. #2Delmer2016-10-04 19:12

    A seized engine on a backhoe is far from the worst case scenario, don't worry, it could get MUCH worse. That's not some rare or particularly old engine.

  3. #3Plongson2016-10-04 19:57

    As I've discussed here on the forum, I purchased a VERY sweet 210LE that turned out to have JUST a roached engine (#2 rod bearing had 1/8" clearance and trashed the crank). After much discussion with my CFO (wife) we decided on a JD long block from my local dealer and did the R&R myself with the assistance of a boom service truck (engine and transmission comes out together and it's HEAVY). While stripping the old junk engine of parts that went on the new long block, I found just about every conceivable part to be worn out as well...rockers worn, timing gears worn...looked like it was run without oil. My TOTAL cost for the entire project was just shy of $10k, but we bit the bullet and now we have an amazing machine (maybe worth $20k to $25K) with a BRAND NEW engine that should serve us well. My suggestion...if you want a machine to go to work, just replace the engine and get it over with...unless you want a hobby and have lots of time to work on it.

  4. #4thepumpguysc2016-10-05 06:48

    Good find Tinkerer.. I guess you would have to get out the pencil and paper and crunch some #'s to figure out the cost, new w/ warranty vs rebuild and your time. Its already out, its torn down and NOW, you have the experience of the removal/installation.. Good luck w/ your project..

  5. #5Tinkerer2016-10-05 20:32

    Thanks pumpguy ! That is really good price for a new forged crankshaft.

  6. #6Brodiesel2016-10-05 21:17

    I would get a rebuild kit from Maxiforce. I have done two 4045 engines and their kits/parts were pretty good. They also have a crankshaft for it. You will need an account though. I can get you a general price on a rebuild kit and crank if you want.

  7. #7Tinkerer2016-10-06 10:26

    That would be the way to go. Plongson's longblock replacement was a worse case situation. $10,000.00 -- YIKES !!

  8. #8Plongson2016-10-07 09:30

    Ya, $10k was the full damage. The price of the JD Reman long block with warranty was $5800. Ya gott'a remember to add in all the extra BS before you turn the key the first time. The $10k included all the fluids (oil, antifreeze etc.), 4 new injectors, filters (engine oil, air, fuel, trans.), fan belt, new motor mounts...you get the idea. The big killer for me was I had NO way to man handle the R&R of that engine and trans coming out as one assembly and had to get a boom service truck. That was $130/hr for 10 hours (and I had it stripped to the bone and ready to pick) with the mechanic included. It would have been an absolute bi*ch otherwise. I cut no corners, but when I need to go to work I fire it up and go... I'm retired industrial maintenance and learned my lesson early "Do it right. Do it once"...

  9. #9JSharp2016-10-07 12:17

    The Case 580 I bought recently is the 2nd old tractor I own. Much of what is wrong with it is what was wrong with the little IH I bought previously - Too many years of hillbilly 'mechanics' doing things 1/2 $$sed and just plain wrong. I've found keeping old stuff running isn't that difficult. I've done it with cars, trucks, motorcycles and now old tractors. The key is to spend the $ and the time to fix things properly, and improve any areas that can be improved. If you do that the machine will work and act like new if not better than new.

  10. #10ephotrod2016-10-10 16:01

    I'm going to get quotes from maxi force and dieselcranks as well as Kern county tractors. We decided to do the crank bearings seals and put some gaskets on it. Looks like we will be selling it afterward. Any other suppliers would help. Josh