Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

John Deere 410 J cylinder piston nut torque

Harold12 · 2026-08-25 19:43

I need the torque specs from Technical Manual TM10147 version 161617-and-up for the dipper/crowder cylinder position nut. If someone could help that would be great. I also would like to know where to buy a repair manual in pdf format that I can download. Thanks

Replies18
  1. #1mg23612026-08-26 04:53

    Welcome to HEF Harold12 ! That is because Deere uses a separate manual for cylinders (CTM120519). Assuming you mean the piston nut, which is a 42 mm X 3 mm nut, we need to know the clamp length (the length of the unthreaded portion of the stud).

  2. #2Harold122026-08-27 03:31

    Thank you for your reply. The cylinder number is AH21C640. The nut is a 65mm and the length of the nut 41.9 mm flush with the threaded stud. I’m not sure if I understand the clamp length. Sorry. I can send a picture. Yes it is the piston nut. I have to pull it to replace the seals.

  3. #3mg23612026-08-27 05:02

    The nut dimensions I gave are for the thread size, not the physical size of the nut. The clamping length is the unthreaded portion of the stud on the rod itself.

  4. #4Harold122026-08-27 21:34

    Thanks, I am having a heck of a time getting the nut off be able to measure it. I attached some pictures. I haven’t put the torch to it, I did use propane, but I don’t think that would be enough to melt the lock tight. I have a six ft cheater.

  5. #5Dave Neubert2026-08-28 08:32

    i use a 48 inch pipe wrench and a back hoe for stubborn ones

  6. #6HarleyHappy2026-08-28 09:04

    Smack the flats of the nut with a good hammer, that will help.

  7. #7Welder Dave2026-08-28 12:43

    If there is Loctite it needs about 400 degs'. A propane torch should be sufficient. You don't have to heat the nut red hot or anything close to that.

  8. #8Harold122026-08-29 15:56

    Ok thank you I’ll give that a go again. Say it wouldn’t be reverse thread? I read it wasn’t.

  9. #9JRK2026-08-29 16:04

    Support the rod directly behind the piston that your force applied to the nut goes just in the turn of the nut. I the current setup part of the force goes into bending down the whole rod. Impact wrench would be good but I don't know if you have one at hand. I wouldn't

  10. #10mg23612026-08-30 04:44

    No it is not. Absolutely!

  11. #11JRK2026-08-30 14:46

    The cut-in on the diameter of the nut indicates sometimes reverse thread. Mutter - Sechskantmutter M12x1,5 LH-10-A4K (DIN934) - Feingewinde, Linksgewinde : Amazon.de: Baumarkt Mutter - Sechskantmutter M12x1,5 LH-10-A4K (DIN934) - Feingewinde, Linksgewinde : Amazon.de: Baumarkt www.amazon.de Do you see the direction of the thread when you look inside? take another nut as sample while checking, that's the way check it

  12. #12JRK2026-08-30 14:48

    I is missing in the last phrase sorry

  13. #13Tinkerer2026-08-31 07:30

    Perhaps it is an aftermarket rod with a left hand threaded nut ? The nut has the notches in it that usually indicates a LH thread.

  14. #14JRK2026-08-31 07:42

    When you support the rod place it on a piece of wood or plastic and a piece of cloth to protect the chrome. Make sure that the gland does not touch the ground, only the rod.

  15. #15mg23612026-08-31 10:06

    That is a John Deere nut, and no Deere has left handed threads on a cylinder piston retaining nut.

  16. #16Harold122026-08-31 14:32

    Thank you, I was worried about that. I heated it with a torch, enough that the seals warped, and put a 5ft pipe on it and 1 inch breaker and still didn’t get it. Had my buddy help with beating on the breaker end while I bent the pipe. He’d used a dozer blade on one cylinder nut to break it free. I dropped her off at the machine shop. They will try or just mill the nut off. I’ll let ya know how she goes. I appreciate the advice from everyone.

  17. #17Welder Dave2026-08-31 15:09

    Some mower blade nuts are left hand thread so they don't come loose if the blade hits something. There is no turning in a hydraulic cylinder so there isn't a need for left hand thread. Maybe the little notches indicate it's an extra heavy or special purpose nut?

  18. #18JL Sargent2026-09-02 16:37

    When you have it hot enough to melt the loctite, it will smoke. I suspect you haven't gotten it hot enough yet. Propane will do it, just takes some time.