Hello , new to the forum and after days of searching online and on my machine i'm having trouble finding the screen for the hydraulics that control the buckets and such. its a 1983 410b. My original problem was that the buckets and others cylinders would chatter when pulling lever all the way to operate and if machine sat for awhile the line got air in them to the point where i could swing the backhoe bucket in and out by hand moving the cylinder in and out by about 8 inches. so i changed all the filters and it got much better but not 100%.( Now with rpms real high i get no chatter but still at low rpm) Question is where the screen is, I went to the dealer and they pulled up the manual on their computer for me and it says to inspect and clean screen -see group 2160. when dealer tries to open page 2160 its cut off and doesn't show location of screen . Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
The 410B has one screen in the transaxle for the suction side and one screen in the priority valve (pressure control valve) for the pressure side.
It looks like the suction screen shown above is the same as my straight 410. I removed the right rear wheel and it easily accessible through a large inline bolt below the pressure valve. Mine had never been cleaned and was full of garbage settled in the tank.
Thanks for the replies ! Do I have to remove the rear wheel to clean screen ? And would that particular screen on the trans affect the bucket operations ?
I believe I might have checked that screen later without the wheel off so I think it is doable. Of course you will have to drain out all the fluid. Someone else will have to confirm what this would fix if you find it clogged....I'd say it would affect all the hydraulics but I don't have the diagram flow handy. If you take the wheel off you'll have good access to check other springs, valves, hoses and fittings.
So I took the cleaned off cap in the picture off and don’t see a screen in there . Sorta stumped
Based on the priority screen detail mg provided above there should have been a screen under that cap. Did you check the suction screen? My straight 410 doesn't have the priority screen or I've never seen it.
Te screen that goes in there should look like a half of a screen (maybe 2/3rds with a slot in it) and it slides in and covers one side of the port inside.
mg2361- I was able to stick my finger in the port where that hoke connects in the picture so def no screen . I'm going to see if my dealer can get a screen, I'm unfortunately stumped though on what to tackle next to resolve my original issue of the hydraulics chattering at lower rpms. Telwood- from the research I've done the suction screen in the trans is for hydraulic fluid in the trans and shouldnt affect the cylinder operations so id hate to drop all that fluid if its irrelevant to the problem I'm having.
The screen in the reservoir of the transaxle will affect the hydraulics. It is behind the suction line for the pumps.
Ok I’ll do that next then . Do you know roughly how much hydraulic fluid I should buy to replace what I’ll lose and what type of fluid I should use ? I’ve seen a lot of different types .
They say 19 gallon capacity and 15 will stay in the cylinders etc. so a 5 gallon bucket will probably work fine. JD hyguard is the best oil for the wet brakes and transmission. If it was me, I'd use a clean bucket, clean the bottom of the trans, and reuse the old oil until you know you're done messing with the tractor, then change it to your oil of choice. I'd use a J20B oil that costs me about $40/bucket. Don't use the <$30 bargain "303" oil that says "not for use in modern equipment", the wet brakes make this modern equipment. The reverser should probably get oil from JD or a major oil company (as Nige would say).
Ok thanks !
Have a 310b of the same era..... my suction screen hose is a very short one.... and needs to be removed from the barb to access the 'tube' screen. If you remove the wheel... then all is visible... and on mine, the filter mount bolt removal was the way to remove( then replace) that short hose.
Well I drained the trans . Cleaned the screen which wasn’t to bad and refilled with about 8 gallons of hy-gard and the bucket and other hudraulics still chatter at low rpm . I know that when digging I won’t ever be at a low rpm but I was just hoping to get it fixed . Any other thoughts besides a new/rebuilt pump ?
Time to check charge pressure and standby pressure. Charge pressure should remain a positive pressure at idle while lifting the loader boom. I would also flow test the charge pump and the hydraulic pump as well. Better to test these things first rather than just throwing a pump on it (if it is still available).
mg2361 I sent you a private message .