Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

** loader Backhoe question

Norman Shaun Swim ยท 2019-01-12 15:00

Hello everybody. I am new to the forum. I am presently looking at an old Massey Ferguson backhoe that I would like to buy. The loader is a 300 and the backhoe portion is a 320. I can't seem to find what the actual tractor is. It is a Perkins diesel I believe. I have supplied a picture to see if that helps anybody. It has a rear main seal leaking and trying to figure it out as to what the seal may be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies7
  1. #1Tinkerer2019-01-12 16:26

    I can't help you, but this thread may be of interest to you. HeavyEquipmentForums

  2. #2Delmer2019-01-12 19:39

    That LOOKS like a 304 or maybe a very early 50? judging from the cast wheel centers front and back. If the injectors are plumb then it's indirect injection, if they're at an angle it's direct injection. Direct injection engine could have a rope rear main seal, or rubber, you'd need the engine serial number I'd guess.

  3. #3Norman Shaun Swim2019-01-12 20:52

    Thanks, I saw that thread, but wanted to see if anybody had any better idea.

  4. #4Norman Shaun Swim2019-01-12 20:53

    Ok, thanks for the help. Where is the serial number on the engine?

  5. #5Welder Dave2019-01-13 01:49

    I have an ** Industrial book and almost certain it is a 302 if it has a manual shuttle trans. or a 304 if it has an instant reverse trans. Perkins 4-203 engine.

  6. #6Norman Shaun Swim2019-01-13 07:56

    Thanks very much for the help.

  7. #7Delmer2019-01-17 20:36

    If you haven't bought it already, I remembered the other thing to look out for on those. The engine takes the weight of the front end just like on a farm tractor without frame rails. The loader helps a little, not enough. If that loader is used heavily, maybe at all past the rotation of the front axle, then the engine flexes with the oil pan and starts to leak all over. Or it breaks the bell housing bolts. The 50 had a bracket mounted from the bottom of the bellhousing to the front axle housing to reduce this strain. Check the oil pan gasket for leaking, the bellhousing bolts for looseness, or new bolts. That contributed to the flexplate I did.