Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

john deere 410d locked up

samuelkerwood ยท 2015-02-28 08:08

just yesterday I bought a john deere 410d backhoe, I got a really good price on it but I took a gamble and it turns out the motor is siezed, anyone have and good ways to free it up? I took the starter off and attempted to pry the flywheel, it wouldn't budge. But that's as far as I've got.

Replies3
  1. #1mudober2015-02-28 08:46

    I assume it has oil in it.Does this one have a shaft going to a hydraulic pump on the frount? If it does I would unbolt it If you can to eliminate it. Then you will need to take out the injecter s and go buy one of those inspection camers and see what u can in the cylinders. I would use wd-40 out of the gallon can if I had to pour something in it .

  2. #2Delmer2015-02-28 09:03

    Pull the pan and take a look, more than likely there's enough there to convince you to rebuild it eventually, but it's still nice to have it run first to know everything else works so that it's worth rebuilding. I'll second taking off the hydraulic pump from the front. You could remove the exhaust manifold and valve cover to squirt something in the cylinders. ATF/acetone seems to be highly regarded? let it soak for days/weeks. I'd like to try using hydraulics to free up an engine sometime if I find the suitable candidate, but haven't done it so this is pure speculation: either remove the injectors or make up lines to two injectors and pump the middle two or outer two full of diesel fuel until something moves. Having the pan and valve cover off will let you close the valves and know that the pistons aren't at TDC and bottom dead center. I'm pretty sure a porta power pump or paint sprayer WILL make something move, and most likely it will be what you want to move. I'm not sure that the flow through an injector will be enough to build pressure if the valves are leaky, but there's one way to find out.

  3. #3samuelkerwood2015-02-28 11:10

    Ok I'm about to go head out and take the valve cover and injectors off and try to pour some wd 40 on it. The starter is also frozen up and won't do anything, I'm letting the bendix area soak right now. I'm having trouble determining the year the series number I found is 213635t, is that the number I need to determine the year