I recently picked up a nice 2011 410J TM with low hours. When looking over the machine and things, I noticed that the plug for the fuel/water separator was disconnected and zip tied out of the way. When checking the onboard diagnostics, there was a code 97.03 (water in fuel signal out of range high). I decided to try plugging it back in, and the code went away. Is there any reason this would've been disconnected? What harm could come from me plugging this back together? It seemed to run fine with it connected and with it disconnected so I don't know what to think. Any input would be appreciated.
Check the onboard diagnostics for any stored codes. I can only assume at some point there was excess water in the fuel detected or possibly a defective WIF sensor setting code 97.16 that would have caused the ECU to derate the engine and setting derate code 1569.31 . Unplugging the WIF sensor set code 97.03 but that would not derate the engine.
I didn't see any other codes besides the 97.03. I don't have a scanner if that is required to find past codes, but with the sensor plugged in, there are no codes showing in the onboard diagnostics currently.
You don’t need a scanner to find stored codes. If there are no other stored codes besides 97.03 then someone has previously cleared them. Screenshot below from the operators manual. .
I will look into this as soon as it stops raining here. Thank you