Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1971 case 580B steering wheel turning but tires don’t

Annmarre ยท 2024-10-01 09:52

Good morning! We've never had an issue with this before so I'm wondering if anyone has any insight. Got on it, started it up, went to back up and the steering wheel is the only thing moving. Tires aren't. Does anyone know what might be going on? Greatly appreciate the help.

Replies9
  1. #1Mike-G2024-10-01 21:30

    I'm not an expert in this area but there are people here who are. They will likely chime in below. I had a Massey Ferguson tractor with hydraulic steering probably like what you're has. There is a gadget below the steering wheel that looks like a motor with hoses connected to it. It may be called a hydraulic motor or hydrostatic steering I'm not sure. Any way, if the hoses leak or the fluid is low or air is getting in, the steering wheel will just spin. The one I had was setting in a field for two years and water and air came in from an o ring at the steering wheel. After fixing the leak and flushing hydraulic fluid through it multiple times I finally hooked my A/C vacuum pump up to it hoping to draw the moisture out of the system. I think it worked. Because now I don't have any more trouble with it. Maybe this will get you started.

  2. #2Cliffy2024-10-02 00:26

    could be a number of things. Most likely cause is the steering cylinder is internal bypassing. Could be the orbitrol unit under steering wheel failed. Could be pump failure or a seized priority valve. I would lift wheels off ground, inspect for broken links. Then crack a hydraulic line on the steering cylinder and see if you have oil.

  3. #356wrench2024-10-02 09:49

    With the engine shut off, if the steering wheel spins freely in both directions like it is not attached to anything, i would suspect a problem with the orbitrol or the splines connecting the steering wheel/steering column to the orbitrol itself. Maybe the orbitrol became partially detached?

  4. #4stinky642024-10-02 10:11

    Pretty sure that thing has a dedicated power steering pump, anyone check fluid level?

  5. #5clueless22024-10-02 11:51

    Welcome to HEF, Annmarie. Check the oil in the power steering pump. There is a replaceable filter in it. The pump is bolted on the rh side --- front of the engine. Most likely not the problem but it needs to be done. 56wrench's info is right on. I can only add that the steering wheel is mounted directly on the orbital pump. You can remove the cap in the center of the steering wheel and see if it is rotating the pump shaft which I am sure it is. If it is the the steering pump you I would suggest that you have a dealership technician determine the cause of your problem.

  6. #6csthompson122024-10-04 16:17

    My 580c did the same, I replaced the left and right steering cylinder assemblies to fix mine.

  7. #7Vetech632024-10-04 16:29

    Remove the steering hoses off the steer cylinders and plug the hoses. See if that gives steering wheel resistance. If the steering wheel gets hard to turn or wont, then you have a cylinder leakage problem. If the steering wheel is still easy to turn, then you may have a pump, orbital, or mechanical link problem.

  8. #8franklin22024-10-05 09:10

    My 480C does. Looks just like a power steering pump on a car or truck driven by a belt on the engine. Has nothing to do with the main hydraulic system.

  9. #9gamesjon2024-10-08 20:13

    I know this is a few days old, but hopefully this will be helpful. I also have a Case 580B & just like you I found myself able to turn the steering wheel easily left or right, but without the tires budging an inch. I actually found this thread due to the issue. In fact oddly enough my issue occurred like the day after you started this thread. But, the problem in my situation was one of the hydraulic hoses to one of the steering cylinders had finally reached the end of its life & had a tear in it. So, I had to go get a hydraulic hose made & refill the steering pump with TCH fluid. After this it was just fine.